Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-07-2014, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Harvesting Potatoes, Sweet and Regular

We grow some potatoes in the garden every year and every year I harvest them the same way. I start at the edge of the bed and put the pitchfork down about 3-4 inches, then I flip up the dirt in front of the prongs. If there are potatoes there, they go into the basket, if not, I keep moving on, stabbing and flipping along the row until I find something. No matter how careful I am, I generally impale a few tubers in the process. Not a big loss, we put those in the "eat quick" pile and store the rest in the cellar.

Does anyone have a better way to harvest them?

Paul