Old 17-10-2014, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default The End Is near !

Until next spring , that is . I'm just biding my time until the first hard
frost . I still have lettuce , spinach , and bok choy producing - and the
bok choy is doing the best and it's all volunteer . The tomatoes have
bloomed again and set fruit , but I doubt there will be time for them to
ripen . There are still some green onions in the ground , they need to be
pulled before frost .
And I have right around a hundred garlic shoots up now . These are from
the garlic we like that we've been buying at the grocery . I haven't a clue
just what variety it is ...
--
Snag
Up to 6 gal of muscadines in the freezer now ...

Old 17-10-2014, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/16/2014 11:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Until next spring , that is . I'm just biding my time until the first hard
frost . I still have lettuce , spinach , and bok choy producing - and the
bok choy is doing the best and it's all volunteer . The tomatoes have
bloomed again and set fruit , but I doubt there will be time for them to
ripen . There are still some green onions in the ground , they need to be
pulled before frost .
And I have right around a hundred garlic shoots up now . These are from
the garlic we like that we've been buying at the grocery . I haven't a clue
just what variety it is ...

What is "frost?" We're getting low fifties in the morning and in the
eighties by mid afternoon. That's what passes for fall in Houston area.
We're hoping for a mild winter, last year's sucked, we had rain, snow,
sleet, and hail all on the same day. An unusual occurrence for us.

Still have tomatoes, eggplant, and sweet peppers planted last spring
producing regularly still. A volunteer cucumber has, so far, given us an
even dozen nice cukes. Harvested a bucket of Swiss chard yesterday and
probably will get another batch next week. The chard was planted last
fall and still making. We're still harvesting fresh basil from a bunch
that came up from fallen seed in 2013. The weather is strange across
this whole country. I'm not complaining mind you, I despise cold
weather, it's just unusual.

We did plant a fall garden in September, harvested radishes from it
yesterday. The mesclun mix is up and growing and the broccoli and
cabbage are doing well. The spinach patch is just now coming up and
another batch of scallions has been planted.

George
Old 17-10-2014, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Frost is when you get up in the morning and the dew has turned white ...
We're a bit farther north and (probably) at a higher altitude . I watch for
that first frost , it knocks the biting bug population down and makes it fun
to be out in the woods .
The local deer population may not agree ...
--
Snag