Old 07-01-2015, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What to do ...

What to do when I can't garden ? Why plan , of course ! I already know what
I'm going to plant , just a matter of measuring out the areas and figuring
out how many in each area . The 50' tape measure is my friend ...

--
Snag
19°F here and dropping ...

Old 07-01-2015, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/7/2015 5:36 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
What to do when I can't garden ? Why plan , of course ! I already know what
I'm going to plant , just a matter of measuring out the areas and figuring
out how many in each area . The 50' tape measure is my friend ...

That's when it's time to add the meat dish.
Just wish I saw as many deer when I hunt them as I do in my yard where I
can't.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Derald wrote:

Frank wrote:

Just wish I saw as many deer when I hunt them as I do in my yard where I
can't.

Seems to me bows exist for such situations....?

Check _all_ the details of your local game laws. Various places I have
lived and been aware of the laws, there was a big honking exception for
"on your own property."

Whether that is true at this time for the place you live, or not, is
something _you_ need to find out. And, as Derald says, you might also
need a bow to keep from having the neighbors freak out. The squeamish
ones might freak out anyway, but you're not forcing them to look...

Old 11-01-2015, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Derald wrote:

Frank wrote:

Just wish I saw as many deer when I hunt them as I do in my yard
where I can't.

Seems to me bows exist for such situations....?

Check _all_ the details of your local game laws. Various places I have
lived and been aware of the laws, there was a big honking exception
for "on your own property."

Whether that is true at this time for the place you live, or not, is
something _you_ need to find out. And, as Derald says, you might also
need a bow to keep from having the neighbors freak out. The squeamish
ones might freak out anyway, but you're not forcing them to look...

I'm SO glad I live in a clearing out in the woods ... with like-minded
neighbors . Bow season here goes until the end of February , and I still
have 3 unfilled tags . I asked the local F&G officer about shooting them for
eating my garden , he said I better have a really good fence ... fortunately
my neighbors are mostly some of the finest people I've ever met , and since
I never call when I hear shots , I don't think they will either .
But bows are silent ... and the orchard is in range of my living room
window .
--
Snag
The one time I DID call , some asshole had taken the backstraps and

Old 15-01-2015, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/11/2015 2:20 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Derald wrote:

Frank wrote:

Just wish I saw as many deer when I hunt them as I do in my yard where I
can't.

Seems to me bows exist for such situations....?

Check _all_ the details of your local game laws. Various places I have
lived and been aware of the laws, there was a big honking exception for
"on your own property."

Whether that is true at this time for the place you live, or not, is
something _you_ need to find out. And, as Derald says, you might also
need a bow to keep from having the neighbors freak out. The squeamish
ones might freak out anyway, but you're not forcing them to look...

I might get away with it but while state law prohibits discharge of a
deadly weapon within 50 yards of an occupied dwelling the county
requires 200 yards. I know a guy that was arrested, taken off in
handcuffs, paid a $100 fine and lost his bow just for target practicing
in his back yard. I don't need that hassle.

Old 15-01-2015, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:

Frank wrote:

[...]

Makes me glad I live in Texas, we do archery practice in a teeny
backyard with a six foot board fence around it. I do a little shooting
practice with my air rifle too. Homeowners Association rules say no
firearm discharges but air rifles are fine if used properly. My property
backs up on a retention pond (a requirement in this area) and it's about
a hundred yards to the houses behind us.

Our big problem is stray cats that want to poop in our raised bed
gardens, the Rat Terrier that lives with us takes care of those pretty
quick. She thinks that anything that comes in her territory is a rat.
Old 15-01-2015, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:

Frank wrote:

[...]

I live in rural Arkansas , and have a 25 yard rifle/pistol range (for
sight-in mostly) about 50 feet from my front door ... I can see my deer
blind from the kitchen window , and have no qualms at all about sticking the
..22 out the living room window to pop a squirrel . The dog objects though ,
she hates gunfire or any loud noise .

--
Snag

Old 15-01-2015, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:

Frank wrote:

[...]

Ours doesn't like loud or shrill noises either. I grew up in rural SE
Texas and, after marrying, set up housekeeping on the same property for
sixteen years. Shot squirrels and coons in the front yard, had a pond
for fishing, and was just a quarter mile from over a thousand acres of
wilderness that I had written permission to hunt and fish on from the
age of eleven.

After that we moved two or three times in Texas due to job promotions
and changes and then overseas to the Middle East for several years. Came
back in 1986 and settled in rural Louisiana for 24 years, another
paradise for hunting and fishing. In 2012 we moved to the Houston, TX
area and everywhere you look there's a huge subdivision and Posted
signs. We're here because we are now fully retired and this area is
where our seventeen descendants live and we don't have to drive three
hours one way to see our great grands and the others. I fish in local
water holes and the odd stream or two but I would move back to rural
Louisiana or rural East Texas in a heart beat. That's if SWMBO would
allow me to.
Old 15-01-2015, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:

Frank wrote:

[...]

I'll sight my crossbow in in the back yard when leaves are on trees and
no neighbor can see me. I'm sure my friend that got arrested must have
had a neighbor call the police on him. Not sure how all my neighbors
would react if I were to bow hunt and as any bow hunter knows you seldom
down a deer on the spot unless you hit the spine. So that means
tracking to who knows where. Even in public areas I hunt I've come
uncomfortably close to houses when blood trailing.
Old 15-01-2015, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

My back yard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spue...ature=youtu.be

Wife wanted me to put this on you tube.

Old 15-01-2015, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/15/2015 12:08 PM, Frank wrote:
My back yard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spue...ature=youtu.be

Wife wanted me to put this on you tube.

Tasty looking little critter. When we were remodeling for sale our house
in Louisiana we found a long ago squirrel nest in the eves on the east
side of the house and their bathroom on the west side of the house eves.
Nasty little things.
Old 15-01-2015, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/15/2015 1:25 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 1/15/2015 12:08 PM, Frank wrote:
My back yard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spue...ature=youtu.be

Wife wanted me to put this on you tube.

Tasty looking little critter. When we were remodeling for sale our house
in Louisiana we found a long ago squirrel nest in the eves on the east
side of the house and their bathroom on the west side of the house eves.
Nasty little things.

Found this one on the camera while uploading last one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVhT...ature=youtu.be

This was last winter.

While waiting to upload, I greased the pole to the bird feeder.

I had one a few years ago that the squirrels destroyed.

Wife, unfortunately, thinks they're cute.

One son, a few years ago, had one get between his chimney and the liner
and die. Cost him about $1,000 in repairs.