Old 01-04-2015, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Broccolli flowers

Well for some reason all my plants went from 1" heads right to flowers, question: Are the stalks and flowers (yellow things) edible? Leaves are shot, but I have long stems and yellow flowers.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wawwiz wrote:
Well for some reason all my plants went from 1" heads right to
flowers, question: Are the stalks and flowers (yellow things) edible?
Leaves are shot, but I have long stems and yellow flowers.

yes, the texture will not be a nice but they will not do any harm

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their
protection against democracy
Old 02-04-2015, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/04/2015 11:18 PM, wawwiz wrote:
Well for some reason all my plants went from 1" heads right to flowers, question: Are the stalks and flowers (yellow things) edible? Leaves are shot, but I have long stems and yellow flowers.

I make curried cream of Broccoli soup with the stems which are not much
use for any other thing other than giving to the rabbits or chooks.
When the offspring studied at University and suffered the usual student
poverty, a good free feed could be had by asking the veg section staff
of the supermarket for the broccoli stems "to feed to my rabbit" and
then using my recipe to transform said stems into something delicious.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/1/2015 8:37 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 1/04/2015 11:18 PM, wawwiz wrote:
Well for some reason all my plants went from 1" heads right to
flowers, question: Are the stalks and flowers (yellow things) edible?
Leaves are shot, but I have long stems and yellow flowers.

I make curried cream of Broccoli soup with the stems which are not much
use for any other thing other than giving to the rabbits or chooks. When
the offspring studied at University and suffered the usual student
poverty, a good free feed could be had by asking the veg section staff
of the supermarket for the broccoli stems "to feed to my rabbit" and
then using my recipe to transform said stems into something delicious.

My wife will eat the stems that way too, I prefer to eat the rabbit.

A nice morning here for gardeners, a light fog is watering the plants
and, supposedly, the sun will be out and get us warm a little later this
morning.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Our winter this year in north Texas was actually pretty warm, guess that was the reason.

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 6:40:09 AM UTC-5, phorbin wrote:
In article ,
says...
Well for some reason all my plants went from 1" heads right to flowers, question:
Are the stalks and flowers (yellow things) edible? Leaves are shot,
but I have long stems and yellow flowers.

Some brassicas will bolt almost from seedlings if the weather is too warm.

---

Old 02-04-2015, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Wouldn't happen to have a recipe handy? Sounds good and guess I could sprinkle the flowers on top for color. Thanks for all the replies
Old 03-04-2015, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/04/2015 11:47 PM, wawwiz wrote:

Wouldn't happen to have a recipe handy? Sounds good and guess I could sprinkle the flowers on top for color. Thanks for all the replies

Melt a good sized blob of butter in a saucepan, add a chopped onion.
Cook stirring now and then till the onion is translucent. Add chopped
up broccoli stem, add a generous helping of chicken stock (I'd say about
a pint and make it from a chicken stock cube as good quality stock makes
no substantive improvement in the soup). Add curry powder to suit your
taste (start with a teaspoonful). Pulverise with a stick blender (and
if you want to be really posh, rub through a sieve - I don't bother),
At this stage either reheat gently adding about half a cupful of cream
(don't boil or it'll curdle) or, reheat and then add some cream to each
individual bowlful of soup.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/04/2015 3:07 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 2/04/2015 11:47 PM, wawwiz wrote:

Wouldn't happen to have a recipe handy? Sounds good and guess I could
sprinkle the flowers on top for color. Thanks for all the replies

Melt a good sized blob of butter in a saucepan, add a chopped onion.
Cook stirring now and then till the onion is translucent. Add chopped
up broccoli stem, add a generous helping of chicken stock (I'd say about
a pint and make it from a chicken stock cube as good quality stock makes
no substantive improvement in the soup). Add curry powder to suit your
taste (start with a teaspoonful).

At this point I should have mentioned that the soup should now simmer
gently for about 20 minutes.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

That sounds like quite a tasty soup. To make it excellent follow the
directions but substitute something else for the broccoli. Just about any
vege would do, rubber floor mat in a pinch.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

:-)) Before you dismiss the broccoli stems, I suggest you try it. It
doesn't taste particularly like broccoli so is quite safe if you are a
broccoli hater. It has (pleasantly surprised) a few people who have
claimed to be broccoli haters.

Old 16-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Registered User

I'd even suggest to prepare homegrown broccoli sprouts and add them to broccoli soups and salads. They add mild, pleasant taste and have higher nutritional value than mature broccoli.
Old 18-04-2015, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible