Old 10-04-2015, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default ACK! too wet !

The weather forecasts for the next 10 days look good , the plants are
ready , and last night's rain has the ground too wet . There go my plans for
today . I have to be careful , there's a good bit of clay in this soil and
it'll pack harder'n the back of your head if I'm not careful . I'm working
more organic stuff into the soil each year to help with that .
I did get the replacement cherry tree planted deer killed it's
predecessor before the bees ventured out . The hives are in the orchard ,
and we split my first hive into 2 on Wednesday - they're still pizzed at me
and very defensive - got stung twice yesterday just walking past .
--
Snag

Old 10-04-2015, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/10/2015 10:50 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
The weather forecasts for the next 10 days look good , the plants are
ready , and last night's rain has the ground too wet . There go my plans for
today . I have to be careful , there's a good bit of clay in this soil and
it'll pack harder'n the back of your head if I'm not careful . I'm working
more organic stuff into the soil each year to help with that .
I did get the replacement cherry tree planted deer killed it's
predecessor before the bees ventured out . The hives are in the orchard ,
and we split my first hive into 2 on Wednesday - they're still pizzed at me
and very defensive - got stung twice yesterday just walking past .

It's cooler than normal and off and on rain here today. Went out and
checked the veggie garden and all is well. Big zucchini blooms on the
the two zuke plants we planted. Pole beans are climbing, tomatoes and
sweet chiles are blooming, eggplant is setting buds.

Our forecast is up to 70% rain over the next ten days. We shall see if
the weather heads are right or my arthritis. G

Clay, might have mentioned this before. We have about six inches of
ancient dune sand sitting on top of five feet of Houston gumbo clay
fill. Next house I buy, if I ever do, will have a soil survey done
before purchase. Here we have to build giant holes in the ground to give
trees or other plants a chance to put down roots. It's a PITA to dig
here. If the clay get dry it takes a saw to dig in it, if it's wet you
can't get the clay off the shovel. We actually found some of the clay
porcelain is made of in some of our diggings. Unfortunately not enough
to peddle to a potter.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
[...]

I hear ya on the clay . We have some here but not like that . There's a
layer of red clay a couple of feet down , and it's just as full of rocks as
everything else here .
It looks like I'll be planting some seedlings tomorrow , I think the sun
and winds today have dried it just barely enough . I got the 'mater patch
laid out today , 24 plants on 3 foot center spacing . Pretty close , but
enough room to get between cages to pick . Close spacing helps shade
undesirables ... and these will be in cages 5' tall , just like last year .
Well , except that the beans will get their own support , letting them grow
on the tomato cages was a mistake .

--
Snag

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM