Old 21-09-2017, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Rain

We received a nice rain this morning and it brought cooler weather too.
Fall garden perked right up and the kumquat tree needed some water. The
kumquats are starting to ripen so we're checking twice a day to get the
ripe ones into the house. A bit later they will all turn from deep green
to orange and we can make something of them.

Probably will get some more rain this week as my weather app says so,
maybe right too, as I watch the sky.

Put up several vac bags of chopped okra from the other garden for the
winter. I do like deep fried okra on occasion with a little catsup, and
they're a must do in gumbo, which we also like. I guess it was the 20
odd years in Louisiana where we got hooked on all types of gumbo. I
prefer shrimp gumbo but we eat almost as much chicken gumbo too.

The nights are starting to get cooler here so Ma Winter is not far away,
I hope. Hit a home run on the Texas Parks & Wildlife magazine I like,
got to get a free year for two of my grandson's as the like it too.
Reckon Texas Parks & Wildlife is trying to hook two more junkies. Of
course the two still hunt and I don't but that means I will probably get
some of the venison, ducks, or geese they will shoot this winter, not to
mention a few fish they catch.

My right leg is getting worse so I scheduled an appointment with the
doctor next week. We will see what he says, or rather, what they say
since our doc brought in a few more.

George
Old 22-09-2017, 02:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 16:57:08 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

We received a nice rain this morning and it brought cooler weather too.
Fall garden perked right up and the kumquat tree needed some water. The
kumquats are starting to ripen so we're checking twice a day to get the
ripe ones into the house. A bit later they will all turn from deep green
to orange and we can make something of them.

In your experience, how long do they last once picked? This is the
first year I have had a significant amount of fruit.

I got a first harvest from my (2'5", growing in a 12 inch pot) tree
and made some lovely kumquat marmalade, and I have more ripe now, but
there are more green ones that are not ready. I don't want to do a
batch with less than ~3 lbs to start. Happy to add some big citrus to
it, of course, to bring it up to a minimum batch. Hard to get kumquats
around here.

My right leg is getting worse so I scheduled an appointment with the
doctor next week. We will see what he says, or rather, what they say
since our doc brought in a few more.

As a friend once said to me, it isn't the getting old that's a
bother, it's the maintenance.

Old 22-09-2017, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

We received a nice rain this morning and it brought cooler weather too.
Fall garden perked right up and the kumquat tree needed some water. The
kumquats are starting to ripen so we're checking twice a day to get the
ripe ones into the house. A bit later they will all turn from deep green
to orange and we can make something of them.

In your experience, how long do they last once picked? This is the
first year I have had a significant amount of fruit.

In an air conditioned house (Texas) they go bad pretty quick so we eat
them out of hand. A later crop comes in all at once and we make other
things with that.

I got a first harvest from my (2'5", growing in a 12 inch pot) tree
and made some lovely kumquat marmalade, and I have more ripe now, but
there are more green ones that are not ready. I don't want to do a
batch with less than ~3 lbs to start. Happy to add some big citrus to
it, of course, to bring it up to a minimum batch. Hard to get kumquats
around here.

DO NOT MAKE ANYTHING WITH GREEN QUATS. It won't kill you but it sure
tastes weird, take it from me and my first time. G