Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 13-07-2020, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,062
Default Boric acid and organic gardening question

Hi All,

The target is earwings. And maybe add some
soy sauce (they love fermented stuff) to increase
the lure.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2IEINP3FJUD1V

Will this mess up my organic garden with chemicals?

Many thanks,
-T

  #2   Report Post  
Old 14-07-2020, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,992
Default Boric acid and organic gardening question

T wrote:
Hi All,

The target is earwings. And maybe add some
soy sauce (they love fermented stuff) to increase
the lure.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2IEINP3FJUD1V

Will this mess up my organic garden with chemicals?


boron/boric acide is a trace plant nutrient, but
should not be used in large amounts as then it becomes
a poison to plants.

instead of using poisons why not figure out the
life cycle of the insect and spend the time on
disrupting the life cycle at various times which
may reduce the population to where the damage isn't
so great?

i find it interesting though that in your arid
climate you have an earwig problem while here in
mid-Michigan where things are normally at least
somewhat wet we don't see a ton of these bugs in
the gardens. perhaps because we have a lot of
birds around... hmm...

this site seems to have a lot of useful information:

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Earwigs


songbird
  #3   Report Post  
Old 15-07-2020, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,062
Default Boric acid and organic gardening question

On 2020-07-14 14:36, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

The target is earwings. And maybe add some
soy sauce (they love fermented stuff) to increase
the lure.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2IEINP3FJUD1V

Will this mess up my organic garden with chemicals?


boron/boric acide is a trace plant nutrient, but
should not be used in large amounts as then it becomes
a poison to plants.

instead of using poisons why not figure out the
life cycle of the insect and spend the time on
disrupting the life cycle at various times which
may reduce the population to where the damage isn't
so great?

i find it interesting though that in your arid
climate you have an earwig problem while here in
mid-Michigan where things are normally at least
somewhat wet we don't see a ton of these bugs in
the gardens. perhaps because we have a lot of
birds around... hmm...

this site seems to have a lot of useful information:

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Earwigs


songbird



I have been fighting them for years.

Thank you

  #4   Report Post  
Old 15-07-2020, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,062
Default Boric acid and organic gardening question

On 2020-07-14 18:28, T wrote:
On 2020-07-14 14:36, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

The target is earwings.* And maybe add some
soy sauce (they love fermented stuff) to increase
the lure.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2IEINP3FJUD1V

Will this mess up my organic garden with chemicals?


** boron/boric acide is a trace plant nutrient, but
should not be used in large amounts as then it becomes
a poison to plants.

** instead of using poisons why not figure out the
life cycle of the insect and spend the time on
disrupting the life cycle at various times which
may reduce the population to where the damage isn't
so great?

** i find it interesting though that in your arid
climate you have an earwig problem while here in
mid-Michigan where things are normally at least
somewhat wet we don't see a ton of these bugs in
the gardens.* perhaps because we have a lot of
birds around...* hmm...

** this site seems to have a lot of useful information:

** https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Earwigs


** songbird



I have been fighting them for years.

Thank you



I think I will try this:

https://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-.../dp/B087ZPCQ2Y



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Organic vs. Non-organic Billy[_4_] Gardening 11 19-02-2008 11:42 PM
organic, non-organic and taste... Steve Young Edible Gardening 9 22-09-2007 07:18 PM
oxalic acid or sulphuric acid to lower water hardness? Alexander Orchids 8 22-06-2005 05:16 PM
Organic/non-organic fertilisers rosie United Kingdom 2 27-05-2005 07:24 AM
organic acid for blueberries Vernon Brown Gardening 9 13-03-2003 01:32 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017