Old 12-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Carlos Figueroa

Default Please help me with my Peach Tree

I have just purchased a Red Haven Peach tree for my back yard. I have
been reading up on pruning and had a question I was hoping someone
could answer.

Q. I know that you are supposed to prune down a newly planted peach
tree to 3 leaers and an open center. The problem is I bought a 2 year
old peach tree that has already been pruned to an open center and is
showing signs of fruit. Should I prune the tree down anyway or will it
be fine if left as is.

Also if I can keep the tree as is, it has 7 side branches coming out
of it. They are about 18 inches long each. I would like to shorten the
tree and give it about 5 side branches for fruit. Will this be too
much pruning for the tree, and if not when should I prune.

Thanks
Old 13-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Dwayne

I would leave it as it is until winter when it is dormant. Except for dead
wood, or emergency pruning (nearly broken off limb), all pruning is done
during late fall or winter. It is trying to get over the shock of being
transplanted, I wouldn't add to its stress by pruning.

You did plant the open center toward the direction from which you receive
the most sunshine (usually South, unless you had to plant it behind a
barrier such as a privacy fence or a house)?

Is the tree on dwarf stock? If it wasn't intended to be a dwarf, I am not
sure how much luck you will have at keeping it short. You can always cut it
back, but it will fight you all the way.

Have fun. Dwayne

om...

peach tree help! jojo Gardening 2 21-07-2004 08:02 AM
3 year old peach tree help Grey-hound Gardening 4 13-04-2004 08:32 PM
Tallow Tree was Peach Tree & Crepe Murtle Questions God Bless Texas Texas 5 24-06-2003 06:32 PM
Help! Peach tree leaves turning yellow. br Texas 5 17-05-2003 02:56 AM
New Peach Tree Help Carlos Figueroa Edible Gardening 0 11-05-2003 11:32 PM