Old 14-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Lisa

Default Strawberry Screen

Do any of you have suggestions for a screen I can use on my strawberries to
keep the birds out? I've got them planted in a 4 foot square bed. Just a
few red ones right now -- but all of them picked over by the birds. Thanks!

--
Lisa

Old 14-05-2003, 07:08 PM
mnz

On Wed, 14 May 2003 16:52:44 +0000, Lisa wrote:

Do any of you have suggestions for a screen I can use on my strawberries to
keep the birds out? I've got them planted in a 4 foot square bed. Just a
few red ones right now -- but all of them picked over by the birds. Thanks!

--
Lisa

check out these links :
http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublicatio...41/eb1641.html
http://www.benmeadows.com/store/prod...parent_id=7649

basic idea is to use plastic netting

Old 15-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Mack

Lowe's sells a bird netting that is around $5.00. Worked great for me.
Mack
--
"Never Try to Teach a Pig to Sing. It's a Waste of Time and It Just Annoys
the Pig."

news

Old 16-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Polar

On Thu, 15 May 2003 16:07:05 -0400, "Mack"
wrote:

Lowe's sells a bird netting that is around $5.00. Worked great for me.
Mack

Ditto at OSH.

Instructions on the netting, but just to recap FYI.

Drive stakes in a few places around bed.

Run string/twine from stake to stake.

Drape netting over all.

Get it large enough so tit hangs over sides and doesn't leave room to
get underneath. Birds won't go in (scared), but critters might. (I'm
the one who found a baby possum in the strawberries one day!)

Good luck.

--
Polar

Old 16-05-2003, 05:08 PM
montana

"mnz" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 14 May 2003 16:52:44 +0000, Lisa wrote:

Do any of you have suggestions for a screen I can use on my strawberries

keep the birds out? I've got them planted in a 4 foot square bed. Just

few red ones right now -- but all of them picked over by the birds.

Thanks!

--
Lisa

I tried netting, which didn't keep all the critters out. What worked for
my patch was the kind of landscaping fabric that you use to cover grass
seedlings. It lets the sun & water in, but it's pretty good (once
staked) at keeping all the critters (except slugs) out. I still lost
berries at the edges of the patch, but there were plenty left for me.

POOL SCREEN AVAILABLE HERE (LANAI SCREEN POOL CAGE ) The Poolscreen Guy Lawns 2 13-10-2004 02:06 AM
zone 6 screen Bob Hardy Bamboo 9 06-06-2003 05:08 PM
privacy screen rb Lawns 1 22-05-2003 03:56 AM
Shrubs/trees for screen Jeremy Cullinan Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Pole beans as a screen? Matt Leber Gardening 8 31-03-2003 05:44 PM