Old 18-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Gyve Turquoise

Default Moving fruit trees

I need to move or cut down four fruit trees, an almond tree which is about
three metres high, planted two years ago from a seedling and now bearing
fruit, a Japanese apricot tree, about three and a half metres high planted
at the same time and bearing fruit, and two four-year-old apple trees, which
I pruned down to about one and a half metres high, both on a dwarfing
rootstock (unknown type), one of which is bearing a few fruits. I have to
cut these trees down so I'm going to take a chance on moving them to a
different location. I'm planning to dig up as much rootball as it's possible
to carry, wrap it in hemp cloth (can't find burlap, not sure if it's the
same thing) and transport it. What are my chances of survival? How much of
the foliage should I prune? Should I remove all the fruit? How much rootball
do I need to take?

As I mentioned, I have to remove the trees anyway. I've already destroyed
two rather manky peach trees which I didn't want to transplant.