Old 28-07-2006, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Moving young fruit trees

I am putting up a fence around my backyard. I have 4 fruit trees that are 1
foot from the line where I'm putting the fence, and I'd like to move them.
They are semi-dwarf, and were planted just this last winter. They are about
6-8 feet tall but very sparse. Can I just dig them up and plant them
somewhere else, or should I wait until they are dorman. IOW, will it hurt
them to dig them up now and move them?

Old 28-07-2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

If it were me I'd move them in the early spring before the buds fatten.
If your winters are mild you might do it in the fall after the leaves
have dropped but I have more luck in zone 6 in early spring.
Any chance of dog legging your fence around them until then?

Old 29-07-2006, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 28 Jul 2006 00:25:41 -0700, "gana" wrote:

definitely it might hurt the plants which you moved.

"definitely" is not the same as "might hurt".

You can move almost anything with TLC and understanding of the
specific plant's needs. A good nursery, or recourse to Western Garden
Book (or regional equivalent) can identify plants that don't like to
be moved. But I have even had luck moving clivia by removing some of
the crowded parts and transplanting them w/TLC.

If you post again, giving your region, we can offer more specific
advice,

Persephone

Old 29-07-2006, 06:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Moving them in mid-summer is probably a bad idea. The warm weather will put
extra stress on a transplanted tree. Fall would be a much better time. When
you
move them, try and capture as much of the root structure as possible.

Sherwin D.

Old 29-07-2006, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

This man has fruit trees. I won't speak about other plants, but moving fruit
trees in
the summer heat is definitely a bad move.

Sherwin D.

Old 29-07-2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:01:28 -0700, Persephone wrote:

You can move almost anything with TLC and understanding of the
specific plant's needs. A good nursery, or recourse to Western Garden
Book (or regional equivalent) can identify plants that don't like to
be moved. But I have even had luck moving clivia by removing some of
the crowded parts and transplanting them w/TLC.

If you post again, giving your region, we can offer more specific
advice,

Persephone

Moving any tree or large shrub in Texas (where I live) at this time of
year is certain death, no question.

The very best time to move any tree, any climate is when you'd plant
it originally. So, if fruit tree planting time is in the late winter,
that's when it would be good to move them. In areas where the ground
freezes, I suggest you dig the holes where you'll move the trees to
and fill the holes with leaves till you're ready to dig out the trees.
One other thing would make it easier, root prune the tree in early
fall with a shovel or sharp shooter so if the ground is frozen in late
winter you will not have too hard a time removing the tree from its
old location.
Old 29-07-2006, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

If you post again, giving your region, we can offer more specific
advice,

Persephone

My apologies: I'm in Lebanon, Oregon, which is about 20 miles south of
Salem. Mid Wilammette valley. The trees were planted last winter as bare
root semi dwarfs that I bought from Costco. So this is their first year in
the ground. They have grown fairly well, here is some pics of them:

file:///N:/hellserver/htdocs/stuff/2006%20July%2029%20Garden/images/DSCF4128.jpg

To the right you can see one of the rows of trees, and you can see they are
small and quite young.

What happened is I bought the property last December, and planted the trees
in January. I finally got my hands on surveying reports and talked to the
city about where I can put a fence, and 4 of the trees are 1 foot outside of
the fence. I could go around them, but I really don't want the trees outside
of the fence.

Old 30-07-2006, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Matthew,
This fall, after the last leaves drop, dig up your fruit tree with a
root ball that is as big as you can drag to the new spot. Then dig a
hole for planting about the same size using the dirt to fill up the
first hole, plant your trees. The roots will grow during the winter and
should be ready for next year's growth period in the spring.

Richard Reames
http://www.arborsmith.com

Old 30-07-2006, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:

Moving any tree or large shrub in Texas (where I live) at this time of
year is certain death, no question.

The very best time to move any tree, any climate is when you'd plant
it originally.

I have never heard this theory before. Perhaps you can explain the
logic behind it? Are you saying that it should be planted at the optimal
time for that climate, or are you saying just match up the season it was
originally planted in? If you mean the former, in any area I can think of,
fall would be the best time. If you mean the later, it makes no sense.

So, if fruit tree planting time is in the late winter,
that's when it would be good to move them. In areas where the ground
freezes, I suggest you dig the holes where you'll move the trees to
and fill the holes with leaves till you're ready to dig out the trees.
One other thing would make it easier, root prune the tree in early
fall with a shovel or sharp shooter so if the ground is frozen in late
winter you will not have too hard a time removing the tree from its
old location.

Where in the world do you plant trees in the dead of winter? Perhaps
you are thinking of a warm zone, where the ground never freezes, but
I think early spring would work much better, and even better in fall.
Fall is usually the best time because the earth is still warm and roots
can grow somewhat before the cold winter temperatures set in.

Sherwin D.

Old 30-07-2006, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 00:33:39 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

Moving any tree or large shrub in Texas (where I live) at this time of
year is certain death, no question.

The very best time to move any tree, any climate is when you'd plant
it originally.

I have never heard this theory before. Perhaps you can explain the
logic behind it? Are you saying that it should be planted at the optimal
time for that climate, or are you saying just match up the season it was
originally planted in? If you mean the former, in any area I can think of,
fall would be the best time. If you mean the later, it makes no sense.

The best time to plant fruit trees is in late winter. I am saying the
optimal time to transplant is the same as the optimal time to plant.
If the plant is in a container there is more wiggle room, but not
much.

[...]

Yes, "you think." Did you read the whole post where I said to dig a
hole when it is still warm out, fill it in with leaves, and I will say
if there's any alfalfa hay around that would be great to fill the hole
with till it's time to dig out the fruit tree. And yes, I plant fruit
trees where I live in February, which is late winter. It is not a
good idea to plant trees right before the summer. A tremendous amount
of watering and fussing will bring it through, but there will be
stress to the tree and the roots will not develop as well. Always
best to plant in EITHER late fall or winter. You may disagree. This
is Usenet. I do far more research for myself than taking the word of
anyone I don't know.