Old 25-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Two x over

Default cherry/grape tomatoe good for container garden?

hi everyone...
was wondering if anyone could offer a good cherry or grape tomatoe variety that
would be good for a deck/container garden?

thanks
betsey
betsey
"we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"
Old 26-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Jim Carter

On 25 May 2003 19:39:51 GMT, (Two x over) wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

was wondering if anyone could offer a good cherry or grape tomatoe variety that
would be good for a deck/container garden?

So many! Have a look at

http://milo.usu.edu/cpl/sd%20tomato%20research.htm

for a start. Yellow canary goes well with red robin (I kid you not).

You might also consider tomatillos. Have a look at the tomato section of

http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/main_vegies.html for a description of

several types of tomatoes including the tomatillos (be prepared to spend a few
hours looking).

I suspect that you thought you were asking a simple question. It is not. :-)
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 26-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 25 May 2003 22:16:39 GMT,
(Frogleg) wrote:

On 25 May 2003 19:39:51 GMT,
(Two x over) wrote:

was wondering if anyone could offer a good cherry or grape tomatoe variety that
would be good for a deck/container garden?

Best to investigate the habits of a particular plant. There are medium
sized fruit varieties that remain compact and suitable for containers,
and cherry types whose indeterminate plants will grow 5-6'. That is,
the size of the fruit is often unrelated to the size of the plant. I'd
look for something described as a "patio" tomato. Of course, if you
have nice big pots and a way to erect supports of some sort, your
choice is virtually unlimited.

We grew a Yellow Pear tomato in a container on our deck last
year, sort of accidentally. I hadn't planned on it, but got
the plant free from a nursery as it had been frost-bitten -
so I stuck it in a pot. And it grew and grew and grew.

When it got to the stage (over five feet tall) where I was
watering it three times a day, we transplanted it into a big
Rubbermaid storage container (22 gallon tub) and gave it a
cage for support. Transplanting such a monster wasn't easy!

It was a good thing we had the Yellow Pear, as those were
really the only ripe tomatoes (except a very few) that we
got last season. Last season was a disastrous tomato-year
here.

This year, though, I've started my own seeds and have plants
(in WalloWaters) with blossoms already. If we don't get a
late frost, we'll have lots of tomatoes soon. Fingers
crossed....

Pat

Old 26-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 25 May 2003 19:41:47 -0400, Jim Carter
wrote:

On 25 May 2003 19:39:51 GMT, (Two x over) wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

was wondering if anyone could offer a good cherry or grape tomatoe variety that
would be good for a deck/container garden?

So many! Have a look at

http://milo.usu.edu/cpl/sd%20tomato%20research.htm

for a start. Yellow canary goes well with red robin (I kid you not).

I have Red Robin plants growing in 6" pots in our big bay
window. They have lots of little green tomatoes already.
The seeds were started on March 7.

I've since bought Yellow Canary seeds and will soon be
starting them too.

I've grown both the plants before, and they did very well
for me.

Pat

Old 26-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Keith Karausky

http://www.usu.edu/cpl/research_dwarf_tom1.htm
Old 26-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Two x over

oh no...so many choices grin.....
Old 27-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Zphysics1

hi everyone...
was wondering if anyone could offer a good cherry or grape tomatoe variety that
would be good for a deck/container garden?

thanks
betsey
-----
Reply:

Betsey,

Most of my tomatoes are in containers -- appox 5 gallon containers. As long as
you keep the tomatoes watered and well-fertilized, they will do fine. I have
started harvesting vine-ripe Cherokee Purple, Black Prince, Ghost, Stupice and
Jaune Flamme, Black Brandywine and tomatoes a for couple of weeks now.
Still waiting for Green Zebra and Juliette .
Even my zucchini, peppers, and cucumbers are in containers. I use earthworm
castings as a slow release fertilizer.

Good luck.

/z.