Old 08-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Rob McLean

Default Strawberries

3 or 4 years ago, I planted some everbearing strawberries. So plants
have flourished, others aven't. I know that part of the problem is
soil quality. I would like to ammend the soil with finished compost,
but before I do, I have a couple of questions. When should I dig up
the plants (spring or fall), and any pointers on dividing the plants?
I live in S.W. Ontario, and this area is zone 6b.

Thanks in advance!

Old 16-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Dwayne

I dig them in the fall, but spring will be alright also. When you dig them
up, you sill see where to divide them. Usually the new plants come from
runners. I put them into a plastic container., and cover the roots with
dirt. They can live that way for months if necessary, as long as you keep
them damp. Spray the weeds in and around your bed, add come compost and
10 - 10 - 10 fertilizer and work it in, then water well. Then plant your
plants about 15 to 18 inches apart and get ready to start picking. It may
take a year before you reach the peak production.

Dwayne

"Rob McLean" wrote in message
3 or 4 years ago, I planted some everbearing strawberries. So plants
have flourished, others aven't. I know that part of the problem is
soil quality. I would like to ammend the soil with finished compost,
but before I do, I have a couple of questions. When should I dig up
the plants (spring or fall), and any pointers on dividing the plants?
I live in S.W. Ontario, and this area is zone 6b.

Thanks in advance!

Moving Strawberries Lilac Edible Gardening 1 03-06-2003 05:44 PM
strawberries? H United Kingdom 6 21-02-2003 08:33 PM
Question about strawberries! Claude Gardening 5 06-02-2003 12:48 PM
Indian Strawberries again JLee United Kingdom 3 21-11-2002 02:33 PM
Strawberries? Dwayne United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 02:27 PM