Old 10-06-2003, 02:08 PM
kris

Default Bean Leaf Beetle

Does anyone have a organic solution that I can make at home to kill these
bugs? They are devouring the leaves of my green beans quicker then I can
pick them and smash them by hand.

I've checked Garden's Alive but money is tight right now and I was hoping
for something I could make at home.

Thanks,

Kris

Old 11-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Pat Kiewicz

kris said:

Does anyone have a organic solution that I can make at home to kill these
bugs? They are devouring the leaves of my green beans quicker then I can
pick them and smash them by hand.

I've checked Garden's Alive but money is tight right now and I was hoping
for something I could make at home.

The ORganic Method Primer UPDATE and Rodale's Color Handbook of Garden
Insects both say that bean leaf beetles are seldom a serious pest. The only
things they recommend other than hand-picking are pyrethrum or, if very bad,
rotenone.

You could always try a soap solution and see if the helps. Remember, you
must actually hit the beetles with the soap -- it has no residual effect. Rinse the
plants down with clear water afterwards.

If you have a shop vac and your garden can be reached with an extension cord,
you can try sucking the beetles off the plants. Seal them into the vacuum. They
will die in there eventually.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)