Old 15-06-2003, 07:56 PM
robert kelor

Default how to kill cut worms naturally

Hello newsgroup,
Can someone tell me if there is a natural ingredient to use to kill cut
worms?We seem to have alot of cut worms this year.
Please reply back to this newsgroup.

Thank You

Old 16-06-2003, 02:44 AM
zxcvbob

robert kelor wrote:

Hello newsgroup,
Can someone tell me if there is a natural ingredient to use to kill cut
worms?We seem to have alot of cut worms this year.
Please reply back to this newsgroup.

Thank You

I squish them. That's about as natural as it gets. And I have squished
more this year than usual.

Best regards, ;-)
Bob

Old 16-06-2003, 04:44 AM

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:46:19 +0000, robert kelor
wrote:

|Hello newsgroup,
|Can someone tell me if there is a natural ingredient to use to kill cut
|worms?We seem to have alot of cut worms this year.
|Please reply back to this newsgroup.
|
|Thank You

Dig up the area and squash the bugs or dump them in a bucket of bleach. I
must have removed 700+ cutworms from 120 sq. ft. of garden bed this
spring. We had a =major= moth infestation last summer...

The dig and squash method resulted in exactly one plant being devoured by
the little horrors this year. Last year I lost a lot of seedlings to them.

== LKR

Reply to me at cowandpig at qwest dot net
My address is set up this way to avoid endless spam --- sorry for the inconvenience!

Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Pat Kiewicz

robert kelor said:

Hello newsgroup,
Can someone tell me if there is a natural ingredient to use to kill cut
worms?We seem to have alot of cut worms this year.
Please reply back to this newsgroup.

I clear and cultivate at least one week before planting a garden bed, killing
any cutworms or moth pupae I spot. I only had a couple of onions (out of
hundreds) nipped by cutworms this year.

The 'bare soil' time is crucial. It starves out the small cutworms you didn't
see. (I normally add alfalfa pellets when I prepare a bed, and waiting a week
or more lets the pellets 'mellow' a bit before planting.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Beecrofter

robert kelor wrote in message ...
Hello newsgroup,
Can someone tell me if there is a natural ingredient to use to kill cut
worms?We seem to have alot of cut worms this year.
Please reply back to this newsgroup.

Thank You

Hit them with a shoe,
Cut them in two

Old 16-06-2003, 06:05 PM
ecologicals

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
robert kelor wrote:

Hello newsgroup,
Can someone tell me if there is a natural ingredient to use to kill cut
worms?We seem to have alot of cut worms this year.
Please reply back to this newsgroup.

Thank You

Some swear by beneficial nematodes. Then again, populations go in cycles
depending on climate conditions so a boom year may be followed by an
'average' year.Case in point is aphids, hardly any out here on the coast and
the ladybugs I released last year (and established their own population) are
mugging Crockpot the cat for leftover treats. I did the old empty toilet
paper roll cardboard sleeve around the seedling thing this year, looks kinda
podunk but little or no cutoff transplants, so it may just actually work.
Cutworms go for weak, stressed plants and when you think about it, they
serve a purpose in the overall scheme of things. Flocks of starlings that
'stab' a lawn will also do the job.
--
John H. Immink

www.renaissancegardens.com/

Old 16-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Jack1000

Can someone tell me if there is a natural ingredient to use to kill cut
worms?

I have heard people use a new product called Cedarcide.
I have tried it for my slugs But I dont think it helped. On the other hand I
don't have any cut worms yet.

Jack
Old 18-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Jan Flora

In article , "ecologicals"
wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
robert kelor wrote:

Hello newsgroup,
Can someone tell me if there is a natural ingredient to use to kill cut
worms?We seem to have alot of cut worms this year.
Please reply back to this newsgroup.

Thank You

[...] I did the old empty toilet
paper roll cardboard sleeve around the seedling thing this year, looks kinda
podunk but little or no cutoff transplants, so it may just actually work.
Cutworms go for weak, stressed plants and when you think about it, they
serve a purpose in the overall scheme of things. Flocks of starlings that
'stab' a lawn will also do the job.

If you have little cut-off pieces of plastic (ABS, PVC) pipe from plumbing
projects,
they make good cutworm collars, too.

Jan