Old 19-06-2003, 08:32 PM
len

Default unintentional overwatering ?

As everybody knows, we here in the east, are being pelted with much more
rain than we need
My question is; how can I prevent blossom end rot in my tomatoes? Is there
any mineral supliment I can use? Seriously, I am considering, building a
canopy over my garden, so I can get it dry enough to work. Damn weeds are
taking over, and there is nothing I can do about it.
Now, I'll go to my Seasonal Affecective Disorder, bright light room ;(
Len

Old 21-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Colin Malsingh

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:23:11 -0400, "len" wrote:

As everybody knows, we here in the east, are being pelted with much more
rain than we need
My question is; how can I prevent blossom end rot in my tomatoes? Is there
any mineral supliment I can use?

Anything with Calcium in it.

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)
Old 21-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Jim Carter

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:23:11 -0400, "len" wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

My question is; how can I prevent blossom end rot in my tomatoes? Is there
any mineral supliment I can use?

Calcium will help, but it might not prevent the BER. Even if BER does set in it
will likely correct itself when the rain finally stops.

See http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/horticulture/nf43.htm for an excellent article.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 21-06-2003, 02:32 PM
len

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:23:11 -0400, "len" wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

My question is; how can I prevent blossom end rot in my tomatoes? Is

there
any mineral supliment I can use?

Calcium will help, but it might not prevent the BER. Even if BER does set

in it
will likely correct itself when the rain finally stops.

See http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/horticulture/nf43.htm for an excellent

article.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
United States Zone 3a
Near Ottawa, Ontario

Thanks, good link, I know the rain will stop eventually, but when. Len

Old 21-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 09:27:32 -0400, "len"
wrote:

Thanks, good link, I know the rain will stop eventually, but when. Len

We've pretty much written this summer's crops off...it's
almost too late now. Our first frost date is around the
first of October.

Pat - in one of the cooler areas of Zone 5 - PA's Northern
Tier

Old 24-06-2003, 06:30 AM
Noydb

Colin Malsingh wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:23:11 -0400, "len" wrote:

As everybody knows, we here in the east, are being pelted with much more
rain than we need
My question is; how can I prevent blossom end rot in my tomatoes? Is there
any mineral supliment I can use?

Anything with Calcium in it.

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)

Might I recommend cheap calcium dietary supplement pills? They are ground
very fine and guaranteed by te FDA to dissolve fairly quickly. I put three
around each tomato and pepper when planting, pushing them just below the
surface (to keep birds from snagging them) but not very deep so as to take
advantage of the leaching effect in my sandy soil.

Bill

Am I overwatering or underwatering? (Or neither?) [email protected] Gardening 4 27-04-2007 10:47 PM
Overwatering & Underwatering seeds Donna \(UK\) United Kingdom 1 27-04-2007 06:35 PM
[IBC] Natural Overwatering - Rain Ethan Smith Bonsai 1 16-08-2005 06:06 PM
Overwatering sharoncapps Roses 2 14-06-2004 06:02 PM
Krimson King Problems - Overwatering? AuralFeast Gardening 1 26-07-2003 10:42 PM