Old 10-06-2004, 02:04 PM
sharoncapps

Default Overwatering

Is it possible to over water my roses. My Theresa Bugnet and William
Baffin are turning yellow on the bottom leaves. This is their first year
in the ground and they started out great but are now turning yellow at the
bottoms. I don't see any bugs on the leaves so the only thing I can think
of is over watering. Any Help appreciated.
Sharon in MN

Old 10-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Gail Futoran

"sharoncapps" wrote in message
Is it possible to over water my roses. My Theresa Bugnet

and William
Baffin are turning yellow on the bottom leaves. This is

their first year
in the ground and they started out great but are now

turning yellow at the
bottoms. I don't see any bugs on the leaves so the only

thing I can think
of is over watering. Any Help appreciated.
Sharon in MN

How's the drainage? Roses don't like their
roots standing in water. So yes, it is possible
to over-water roses if there is not good drainage.

How often do you water? That depends on
a lot of factors, but do an easy soil dampness
test: stick your finger into the soil about 1-2"
down. If it's still wet, don't water for a few
days. If it's dry, the yellowing leaves may be
due to lack of water. (You might have too
much drainage, e.g., sandy soil.)

Some of my roses (not your varieties) get
yellow leaves but as long as most of the
leaves are green, and there is new growth,
I tend not to worry about it. Yellowing is
one way leaves die.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 14-06-2004, 06:02 PM
sharoncapps

Gail Futoran wrote:
"sharoncapps" wrote in message

How's the drainage? Roses don't like their
roots standing in water. So yes, it is possible
to over-water roses if there is not good drainage.

How often do you water? That depends on
a lot of factors, but do an easy soil dampness
test: stick your finger into the soil about 1-2"
down. If it's still wet, don't water for a few
days. If it's dry, the yellowing leaves may be
due to lack of water. (You might have too
much drainage, e.g., sandy soil.)

I actually have pretty good drainage but it has been overcast and showers
all the time so I guess they just need more sun. I usually only water once
a week depending on the weather. If it rains I don't water and if it is
too hot I sometimes water more. Thanks for the reply.
Sharon in MN