Old 23-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Dave Allyn

Default HELP!: Peppers wilting

I have eight pepper plants, 2 bells, 2 yellow bannana, and 4 hot
(don't remmber the exact kind, but doesn't matter for this post)

The hots are all doing well. the sweets are doing fine, except one
plant. the leaves are wilting horrible. I have the whole area
mulched with grass clippings. If I peel back the clippings, and look
at the ground, It is usally dark, moist, good. if it is dry, I water.
If not, I don't

The wilt started at the top a couple days ago. Now it is down one
whole side of the plant. The other ones were doing fine, but today I
noticed one of theother plants has a couple wilted leaves near the top
as well.

I'll admit, the plants are a little too close to each other. (just
shy of 18" apart) and there are tomatoes nearby as well.. (again, just
shy of 18")

any ideas??

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Old 24-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Joanne

"Dave Allyn" (Dave Allyn) wrote in message news:3ef75190.502823907@news.

Snip

The wilt started at the top a couple days ago. Now it is down one
whole side of the plant. The other ones were doing fine, but today I
noticed one of theother plants has a couple wilted leaves near the top
as well.

I'll admit, the plants are a little too close to each other. (just
shy of 18" apart) and there are tomatoes nearby as well.. (again, just
shy of 18")

I have no brilliant insight as to your wilt problem as it has not
happened to me. I can tell you that all of my pepper plants have
always been planted only about 12 inches apart, as my space is
limited. I'm sure though that the closer the plants are to each other,
the graeter the chance of spreading a disease. I have probably been
very lucky.

jcm
Canadian zone 5b, don't know my U.S. zone equivilant, not sure if I
care.
No offence intended!
Old 24-06-2003, 05:20 PM
DigitalVinyl

while reading last night I came across a description of wilting along
the entire side of a plant. I recalled your post. This particular
problem may not be yours so compare the exact symptoms. For instance
they discuss it wilting from bottom up not top down.

the third one says common root rot will produce a similar wilting.
That may be your problem... root rot. You could try unmulching the
plant and hold off on water. Let the ground dry out some. I use
liquid seaweed on distressed plants...haven't done it enough to KNOW
it works, but that was the recommendation I read. Helps with root
strength and nutrients for healthy immune system.

Verticillium Wilts
http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...t-tom-pot.html
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3122.html
http://ag.arizona.edu/PLP/plpext/dis...r/pepvert.html

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 25-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Pam

In our last fun filled episode, Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:19:32 GMT,
"Dave Allyn" (Dave Allyn) proclaimed:

The hots are all doing well. the sweets are doing fine, except one
plant. the leaves are wilting horrible. I have the whole area
mulched with grass clippings. If I peel back the clippings, and look
at the ground, It is usally dark, moist, good. if it is dry, I water.
If not, I don't

The wilt started at the top a couple days ago. Now it is down one
whole side of the plant. The other ones were doing fine, but today I
noticed one of theother plants has a couple wilted leaves near the top
as well.

Have you pulled the worst one up? What do the roots look like?

Cut across the stem and see what it look like in cross section.
If there are brown patches, it is most likely Verticillium Wilt
or Fusarium wilt. If milky stuff leaks out, it is most likely
Bacterial Wilt. Your description sounds most like Bacterial Wilt
at this point.

Pam

"ElissaAnn"
Old 29-06-2003, 01:32 AM
SpiceScoot

If you break off one of the wilted stems as close to a healthy part of the
plant as you can I bet you will find it hollow and if you split the stem up
towards the top you will find a little brownish worm. Smash the little *******
and your plant will continue to grow. Another way you can spot them is to look
for a little hole in the stem or branch with a few grains of "frass" (worm
poop) around it. That is a sure tip off. LRK