Old 28-06-2003, 05:44 PM
ChrisV01

Default Grapes

The area where I live (New England) has many wild grapes. I am told these are
Concord grapes. However, I have noticed while most have the usual serated
pear-shaped or spear-shaped leaves, a few will grow leaves that become
three-pronged (trident) shaped. What is the difference between these two
types? Which is what? Are the trident leaves representative of a different
species of grape or just some phase that Concord grapes go through?

Thank You
Old 01-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Tom Eisenman

This is not an answer to your question but I was taught that grapes are not
native to New England. Growing up in Connecticut we learned that grapes
were imports to the continent as were the settlers. The state motto of
Connecticut is "Qui Transtulit Sustinet" (He who transplanted them still
sustains them.) The Connecticut flag has three grape vines on it.

Old 06-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Archie Ritter

"Tom Eisenman" sorry@absolutelynospam wrote in message
This is not an answer to your question but I was taught that grapes are

not
native to New England. Growing up in Connecticut we learned that grapes
were imports to the continent as were the settlers. The state motto of
Connecticut is "Qui Transtulit Sustinet" (He who transplanted them still
sustains them.) The Connecticut flag has three grape vines on it.

Here's a link about wild grapes.
http://newton.dep.anl.gov/natbltn/200-299/nb204.htm
If Leif Ericsson saw them in 1000 AD, and was impressed enough to name the
place Vinland, then they must already have been native to the Americas.

But the "native" zinfandel grape turns out to be Croatian:

"ChrisV01" wrote in message
The area where I live (New England) has many wild grapes. I am told

these
are
Concord grapes. However, I have noticed while most have the usual

serated
pear-shaped or spear-shaped leaves, a few will grow leaves that become
three-pronged (trident) shaped. What is the difference between these

two
types? Which is what? Are the trident leaves representative of a

different
species of grape or just some phase that Concord grapes go through?

In Arkansas wild grapes have 3-pronged leaves.

Old 07-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Archie Ritter

"ChrisV01" wrote ...
The area where I live (New England) has many wild grapes. I am told these

are
Concord grapes. However, I have noticed while most have the usual serated
pear-shaped or spear-shaped leaves, a few will grow leaves that become
three-pronged (trident) shaped. What is the difference between these two
types? Which is what? Are the trident leaves representative of a

different
species of grape or just some phase that Concord grapes go through?

I bought a Concord grape vine some years back (it was supposed to be
seedless, but wasn't). There are also wild grape vines nearby. I see both
types of leaves. My guess is that the 3-pronged ones are native and the
spearhead-shaped ones are hybridized, since that is the leaf shape that the
cultivated Concord vine has.

more grapes vs better grapes [email protected][_2_] Gardening 4 08-07-2013 01:10 AM
Concord Grapes Gardening 0 11-04-2003 11:20 AM
Concord Grapes Warren Gardening 0 04-04-2003 06:08 PM
Seedless grapes David Hershey Plant Science 9 05-03-2003 01:27 AM
Grapes In Miami Dwayne Edible Gardening 1 21-02-2003 11:03 AM