Old 29-06-2003, 08:08 PM
TPhil

Default Artichoke Help ! ?

We planted artichokes & yielded very nice ones the first couple of cycles
from about 3 "stalks" (?) & now they have started shredding the leaves,
stems & making huge artichokes that want to flower.

Let us know how to properly grow, maintain & what to expect from this crop.

Many thanks.

Troy

Old 30-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Anonymo421

We planted artichokes & yielded very nice ones the first couple of cycles
from about 3 "stalks" (?) & now they have started shredding the leaves,
stems & making huge artichokes that want to flower.

Let us know how to properly grow, maintain & what to expect from this crop.

Many thanks.

Troy

I don't know where you are, but down in southern AZ our chokes have been
nothing but big thistles for about a month now. Just get the plants in early
and enjoy the chokes as long as you can. Once they get to the point that small
ones try to bloom, we let them--makes a rather stunning purple flower.
Old 30-06-2003, 05:20 PM
sueb

"TPhil" wrote in message ...
We planted artichokes & yielded very nice ones the first couple of cycles
from about 3 "stalks" (?) & now they have started shredding the leaves,
stems & making huge artichokes that want to flower.

Let us know how to properly grow, maintain & what to expect from this crop.

Troy,
As someone else pointed out, once they start to flower it's over.
Enjoy the blooms. Keep watering them.

When my blooms and leaves completely dry up, I cut the plant off, leaving
maybe an inch above ground. Next spring it'll come up again from the
roots. Then look for the chokes and pick them when they're the size
you want. On my plant I always get one choke in the center that's
enormous (dinner plate size), a lot of mediums and some babies.

I planted the root about 10 years ago and have consistently had 15+
chokes every year. I've never fertilized it and only water when it's
got the chokes on it and the plant is wilting.

Susan B.