Old 18-07-2003, 04:12 AM
dstvns

Default Lovage seedling

Hello,

I planted some lovage seeds over a month ago. I have some seedlings,
but unfortunately I don't know if these are weeds.

I did not use sterilized soil so the weeds are coming up with the
lovage. I was hoping someone would be able to describe what the
lovage seedling looks like. Germination from Nichols seeds was
_extremely_ poor, but I believe I have 3 or 4 seedlings (out of about
100 seeds). These seedling leaves that I think are lovage are 'star
shape', with several points jutting outward...I suppose someone could
say they look like "weed".

I can recognize most local weed seeds, and these seedlings are the
only ones that don't look like a weed. Let me know if there's a pic
somewhere of a lovage seedling, thanks very much.

Dan

Old 18-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:13:08 GMT, (dstvns)
wrote:

I did not use sterilized soil so the weeds are coming up with the
lovage. I was hoping someone would be able to describe what the
lovage seedling looks like. Germination from Nichols seeds was
_extremely_ poor, but I believe I have 3 or 4 seedlings (out of about
100 seeds). These seedling leaves that I think are lovage are 'star
shape', with several points jutting outward...I suppose someone could
say they look like "weed".

I can recognize most local weed seeds, and these seedlings are the
only ones that don't look like a weed. Let me know if there's a pic
somewhere of a lovage seedling, thanks very much.

I'm looking at a picture of a lovage seedling, but it's in a
book: 'Park's Success with Seeds' by Ann Reilly.

The first two (seedling) leaves are long and slender. There
are two of them, one on either side of a stem.

The picture also shows one young (non-seedling) leaf. It is
divided into three main divisions: the leaf-part in the
front is further divided into three (ummm...this is kind of
recursive, if you know what I mean). The two leaf-parts on
the sides are solid. This first true leaf looks like a
celery leaf.

Phew.

There's also a picture of mature foliage - it's kind of
ferny and delicate-looking: like celery leaves but perhaps
more delicate.

I think it's related to celery, maybe you know what celery
seedlings look like? (I don't - I've never grown celery -
or lovage for that matter.)

Pat
Old 18-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Henriette Kress

Pat Meadows wrote:

There's also a picture of mature foliage - it's kind of
ferny and delicate-looking: like celery leaves but perhaps
more delicate.

No, lovage is certainly not more delicate than celery. Those leaves are
_huge_. A mature plant can get to 3 m (3 yards) tall, and the leaves
themselves can be up to 1 m (1 yard) long.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Old 18-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:08:00 +0300, Henriette Kress
wrote:

Pat Meadows wrote:

There's also a picture of mature foliage - it's kind of
ferny and delicate-looking: like celery leaves but perhaps
more delicate.

No, lovage is certainly not more delicate than celery. Those leaves are
_huge_. A mature plant can get to 3 m (3 yards) tall, and the leaves
themselves can be up to 1 m (1 yard) long.

Ah. This I couldn't tell from the picture. It needs quite
a bit of room then.

Pat

Old 21-07-2003, 02:54 AM
dstvns

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:24:04 -0400, "Beth Jensen"
wrote:

Pick a tiny piece of the leaf, crush it and smell it. It should smell like
very strong celery.

Thanks, I did. It is definetly lovage growing. Thanks for all the
help,

Dna

Has anyone grown Lovage? Mark Anderson Gardening 7 07-05-2004 06:02 PM
Lovage seedling dstvns Gardening 6 21-07-2003 02:54 AM
Help please with this heated seedling mat Elpaninaro Orchids 4 27-03-2003 01:44 AM
Seedling Selection - Mixed Paul England United Kingdom 0 11-03-2003 10:29 PM
Seedling transplanting question Tony Gardening 13 09-03-2003 01:09 AM