Old 26-07-2003, 08:42 PM
jfrost

Default cherry tomato

i have some cherry tomatoes that don't
really have any taste. I believe i just have the
wrong variety.
Does anyone have a cherry tomato variety that tastes
so good you can't stop eating them?

thanks

Old 26-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Jim Carter

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 14:23:14 -0500, "jfrost" wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

i have some cherry tomatoes that don't
really have any taste. I believe i just have the
wrong variety.
Does anyone have a cherry tomato variety that tastes
so good you can't stop eating them?

If you live on a part of the continent that received the cold rain last May and
June then this might be the problem. Normally good tasting types of tomatoes
are coming out bland and watery.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 27-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Laura Stanley

I have really enjoyed Ruby (a grape tomato) this year.

Unfortunately, the squirrels and birds have also learned how good it is.
:-(

Old 27-07-2003, 03:32 AM
suedaniels

"jfrost" wrote in message
i have some cherry tomatoes that don't
really have any taste. I believe i just have the
wrong variety.
Does anyone have a cherry tomato variety that tastes
so good you can't stop eating them?

thanks

The best cherry tomato variety we've found is "Sweet Millions"

Sue D.

Old 27-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
Jim Carter wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 14:23:14 -0500, "jfrost" wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

i have some cherry tomatoes that don't
really have any taste. I believe i just have the
wrong variety.
Does anyone have a cherry tomato variety that tastes
so good you can't stop eating them?

If you live on a part of the continent that received the cold rain last May
and
June then this might be the problem. Normally good tasting types of tomatoes
are coming out bland and watery.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
United States Zone 3a
Near Ottawa, Ontario

Ah ha...... I thought our tomatoes were kind of bland.

Old 27-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Pat Kiewicz

jfrost said:

i have some cherry tomatoes that don't
really have any taste. I believe i just have the
wrong variety.
Does anyone have a cherry tomato variety that tastes
so good you can't stop eating them?

I thought I hated cherry tomatoes until I tried the variety 'SunGold,' which is
superb ('SunSugar' is slightly sweeter and less prone to cracking but the same
'style' of cherry tomato).

'Ruby' which is a grape tomato is also very good, as it has real 'big tomato'
flavor in a tiny package. Last year I dried a lot of little 'Ruby' tomatoes and
they are very good that way, too.

(The dried 'SunSugar' tomatoes are like an exotic cany.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 27-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Mike Stevenson

So far I'm enjoying the "Sweet Treat" hybrids I got from Burpees. While
still orange they have a nice acidic flavor (I favor this over true sweet
honestly) though once allowed to fully ripen they become quite sweet. I do
live in an area that got lots of rain during May and Early June. I find that
my tomatoes still taste quite a bit better than grocery store varieties, tho
I soppose if mine are somewhat waterlogged, they will taste even better next
year...

Old 27-07-2003, 06:12 PM
jim book

i use "sweet cherry 100" from burpee. they are great. my brother-in-law( &
neighbor) calls them "candy".

Old 28-07-2003, 02:02 AM
Jan Flora

"jfrost" wrote in message
i have some cherry tomatoes that don't
really have any taste. I believe i just have the
wrong variety.
Does anyone have a cherry tomato variety that tastes
so good you can't stop eating them?

thanks

If you like Sweet 100, give Sweet Million a try next year. Those
'maters never make it more than 5' from the plant before being
eaten at my house ; )

Jan