Old 31-05-2005, 03:31 AM
BenGman

Default Cherry tomato's arent turning red

I have a number of cherry tomatoes on my plant, and they are very good
sized. They are about 2" in diameter each. However, they aren't even
starting to turn red, their still all green. I don't think cherry
tomatoes get much bigger than mine, so how big must they get before
they will ripen?

Old 31-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On 30 May 2005 19:31:25 -0700, "BenGman" wrote:

I have a number of cherry tomatoes on my plant, and they are very good
sized. They are about 2" in diameter each. However, they aren't even
starting to turn red, their still all green. I don't think cherry
tomatoes get much bigger than mine, so how big must they get before
they will ripen?

Patience is a virtue, especially for a gardener.

Penelope

Old 31-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Katra

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On 30 May 2005 19:31:25 -0700, "BenGman" wrote:

I have a number of cherry tomatoes on my plant, and they are very good
sized. They are about 2" in diameter each. However, they aren't even
starting to turn red, their still all green. I don't think cherry
tomatoes get much bigger than mine, so how big must they get before
they will ripen?

Patience is a virtue, especially for a gardener.

Penelope

lol That's exactly what I was going to say....

Don't worry, they will turn red when they are ready! :-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 31-05-2005, 03:12 PM
The Cook

"BenGman" wrote:

I have a number of cherry tomatoes on my plant, and they are very good
sized. They are about 2" in diameter each. However, they aren't even
starting to turn red, their still all green. I don't think cherry
tomatoes get much bigger than mine, so how big must they get before
they will ripen?

2" seems large for cherry tomatoes. Regardless, they will turn red
after they are fully mature. Mother nature takes care of all of that.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 31-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Tue, 31 May 2005 07:56:05 -0500, Katra
wrote:
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:
On 30 May 2005 19:31:25 -0700, "BenGman" wrote:

I have a number of cherry tomatoes on my plant, and they are very good
sized. They are about 2" in diameter each. However, they aren't even
starting to turn red, their still all green. I don't think cherry
tomatoes get much bigger than mine, so how big must they get before
they will ripen?

Patience is a virtue, especially for a gardener.

lol That's exactly what I was going to say....

Well, we probably all could use that reminder sometimes.

Don't worry, they will turn red when they are ready! :-)

My sister, who is new to gardening, was asking my mother and me this
past weekend what supplement she had to add to get her tomatoes to
turn. My mother has had one ripe tomato and is about to have another,
and it's driving my sister crazy. I tried to explain about
microclimates, and that mother's tomato plants are tucked up next to a
brick wall where what little warmth we've had this spring was
reflected back to the plants, but I don't think that was the answer
she was looking for.

Penelope, who has lots of green tomatoes right now, too.

Old 31-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Katra

wrote:
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:
[...]

Ever tried them lightly breaded and fried? :-)
Fried green tomatoes really are quite the treat!
My sister used to raid my vines for large greenies
before she moved to Arizona........

Old 01-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Steve

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On 30 May 2005 19:31:25 -0700, "BenGman" wrote:

I have a number of cherry tomatoes on my plant, and they are very good
sized. They are about 2" in diameter each. However, they aren't even
starting to turn red, their still all green. I don't think cherry
tomatoes get much bigger than mine, so how big must they get before
they will ripen?

Patience is a virtue, especially for a gardener.

Penelope

lol That's exactly what I was going to say....

Don't worry, they will turn red when they are ready! :-)

Of course we could add that if they keep getting bigger before they
turn, you might want to file a complaint with the person who sold them
to you as cherry tomatoes. :-)

Steve