Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Fito

Default New to gardening...

Being new to this group, I will introduce myself. I am 36, single (nurseries
have a lot of women in them. My bar-hopping buddies will never learn my
secret.) and live in NYC. That, I think, is zone 7. Due to my recent
unemployment I have had a lot of time on my hands. Gardening happily filled
that gap. Plus it allows me to spend a lot of quality time with my parents
as it is at their house that I garden.

I have read many of the past posts to see if my questions have been asked.
Please bear with me if I ask a question already answered. Hopefully, in the
future, I will be an asset to this forum.

Some background for those who dont live in this part of the country. Spring
was very rainy. I planted in early spring and almost saw many of my
perrenials drown. Summer started off extremely hot - we have experienced
many +90 degree days since late June. Ok, now for the first of many
questions.

1. I planted watermelon in a container this year. The vine started growing
against a chain link fence. Mind you - I didnt think I would be sucessful or
I wouldnt have planted in a container against a fence. The plant is
intertwined in the fence and now I am starting to see tiny melons. Shocker,
huh? Anyway, I dont want to disrupt its growth but dont know what to do when
the melons get heavier. The container is about 3 feet off the ground and I
desperately will try anything to keep the plant as healthy and fruitful as
possible. Anyone have a thought on some type of support I can give to the
fruit.

2. Tomatoes. I planted about 30 beefsteaks in containers. The pot sizes
ranged from 2 gallon to 15 gallon. I am worried that the 2 gallon containers
arent big enough and that I overstuffed the larger containers (two in a 10
gallon). Also, I am considering using stakes that have varnish or paint on
them (they are just sitting there in my garage). Is that safe?

3. Roses. I have a sick rose bush. Yellow leaves with black spots. Obviously
fungus right? As I stared at it yesterday, a small bee landed on one of the
leaves and cut a half inch semi-circle in it. Right before my very eyes. I
thought I was seeing things. I dont know the variety of the rose bush. Your
thoughts?

In the 2 months I have lurked here I have gained such valuable insight on
gardening. I thank all of you - even those who ask questions for without
them we would have no answers. This is my first year gardening. For the
stress relief and relaxation it provides, I should have started long ago.

Fito