Old 31-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Matt

Default Ears sprouting tassles?

I have some sweet corn that's about a week or two from being ready to
harvest (I hope). Some of the ears are sprouting what appears to be
"tassles" out them. What are these? Should I worry about them? What
should I do about them?

Thanks,

Matt Stauffer, Zone 7 (I think)
Old 31-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Brian

That is corn silk. Each silk goes to an individual kernel of corn. The
pollen from the tassels should be placed on the silk on the ears. In
other words now is a good time to "rough" your corn up so it gets
pollinated well. The better it is pollinated, the fuller the ear of corn.
PS now is when your corn needs water the most.

Old 31-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Matt

Matt wrote:

I have some sweet corn that's about a week or two from being ready to
harvest (I hope). Some of the ears are sprouting what appears to be
"tassles" out them. What are these? Should I worry about them? What
should I do about them?

Thanks,

Matt Stauffer, Zone 7 (I think)

No, what I should've said is that the ears are fairly well developed
and the "tassle" is in addition to the silk at the top of the ear.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Matt said:

I have some sweet corn that's about a week or two from being ready to
harvest (I hope). Some of the ears are sprouting what appears to be
"tassles" out them. What are these? Should I worry about them? What
should I do about them?

Snip them off before you cook the corn.

I've had side shoots develop an ear + tassle thing at the tip. I've never had
it happen on a regular ear, though.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)