Old 09-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Joe

Default help id mint?

Can anyone help identify this mint? It grows 4 to 5 feet high, the largest
leaves are 3 inches long, the stems and leaves are a little hairy. It has a
good taste for making mint tea, and best of all, doesn't spread aggressively
like other mints that I have. This mint was here when I moved in, and I
suspect it's been here a long time and it's still a small patch:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/whatsth...l/index_0.html

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Old 09-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 17:07:07 -0400, Joe
wrote:

Can anyone help identify this mint? It grows 4 to 5 feet high, the largest
leaves are 3 inches long, the stems and leaves are a little hairy. It has a
good taste for making mint tea, and best of all, doesn't spread aggressively
like other mints that I have. This mint was here when I moved in, and I
suspect it's been here a long time and it's still a small patch:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/whatsth...l/index_0.html

I cannot be sure, but it looks an awful lot like lemon balm
(Melissa officinalis) to me. My lemon balm did not spread
aggressively.

Does it have a lemony smell when you crush a leaf?

Pat
Old 09-08-2003, 10:32 PM
EvelynMcH

I looked and I don't know - the flowers are not peppermint or spearmint, both
of whom have smaller flowers. It almost looks to me to have catnip-type
flowers. Could it be a pineapple mint or one of those other hybrid scents? They
all smell minty, but not as strong as true mint.

I'll have to take a look at the garden center...
-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein
Old 09-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Joe

wrote:

Can anyone help identify this mint? It grows 4 to 5 feet high, the largest
leaves are 3 inches long, the stems and leaves are a little hairy. It has a
good taste for making mint tea, and best of all, doesn't spread aggressively
like other mints that I have. This mint was here when I moved in, and I
suspect it's been here a long time and it's still a small patch:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/whatsth...l/index_0.html

I cannot be sure, but it looks an awful lot like lemon balm
(Melissa officinalis) to me. My lemon balm did not spread
aggressively.

Does it have a lemony smell when you crush a leaf?

Pat

I have time naming smells sometimes, but it's not lemony. Peppermint is the
closest I can describe it, but I don't think that's right either.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Old 10-08-2003, 07:02 AM
Henriette Kress

Joe wrote:

Can anyone help identify this mint? It grows 4 to 5 feet high, the largest
leaves are 3 inches long, the stems and leaves are a little hairy. It has a
good taste for making mint tea, and best of all, doesn't spread aggressively
like other mints that I have. This mint was here when I moved in, and I
suspect it's been here a long time and it's still a small patch:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/whatsth...l/index_0.html

If the flowers were pinker you'd have applemint, Mentha suaveolens. That's
a real spreader. Not that I have anything against spreading mints in
general, I have about 10 "real" mints (Mentha spp.), but this particular
one takes over the peppermint patch and doesn't taste very good. So this
year I've just ripped up every applemint I've seen pop up, in my garden.
Cat**** is quite a good description of both taste and scent.
It's a species, therefore easily grown from seeds.

http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictu...suaveolens.htm
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictu...aveolens-1.htm
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictu...aveolens-2.htm
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictu...aveolens-3.htm

If the leaves were narrower it could be Moroccan mint, Mentha spicata var.
crispa cv., which is very good in ice tea indeed. That doesn't spread as
much and has a nice sweetish spearminty taste - and the flowers are in
small (less than 1 cm in diameter), distinct white balls on their
flowerstems.
It's a hybrid, doesn't grow from seeds (or well, it might make seeds, but
they won't give you moroccan mint), so it has to be planted from runners.

http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictu...-spicata-6.htm

Of course, mints hybridize freely, so you could have something else again.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Old 10-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 18:20:52 -0400, Joe
wrote:

I have time naming smells sometimes, but it's not lemony. Peppermint is the
closest I can describe it, but I don't think that's right either.

I think not lemon balm then, it has a very distinct lemony
smell.

Pat
Old 10-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Joe

On 08/10/2003 02:01 AM, Henriette Kress said:
Joe wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the links! My mint does resemble mentha suaveolens / applemint
more than the other mints on your site. The descriptions I read say that
applemint only reaches 2 feet high, but mine are nearly 5 feet, so that seems
odd - I haven't come across any descriptions for mints this tall yet.

I found this site which mentions Egyptian mint as being fuzzy like applemint.
I never heard of this mint before, but it is described as 3 foot tall with
sturdy stems, so I think it's a possibility:
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/menniliaca.htm

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Doug's mint - dougs-mint.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 06-08-2007 05:44 PM
Mint rust Help. William Anderson United Kingdom 0 08-09-2003 07:34 PM
help identify mint Joe Gardening 1 09-08-2003 11:22 PM
Purchasing Mint for garden. Texas Garden Edible Gardening 2 17-03-2003 11:56 PM
Penny Royal Mint dying off Michael Singmin Gardening 0 21-02-2003 08:27 AM