Old 25-08-2003, 07:32 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Re(2): growing popping corn

writes:

May I ask what kind oof problems you had with them? Was it with the seeds
or with customer service? I've never ordered seeds from anywhere (I have
purchased cat grass seeds from a local gardening store, but have not
planted
them, yet), so I don't really know what to look out for.

I ordered the seeds by telephone so there was ample opportunity to tell me
anything that might have been out of the ordinary. It was over a month
after I ordered that the seeds had not arrived with there having been no
mention made that it might "be a while." It seemed to be that two to
three weeks was a reasonable time though when I mail ordered merchandise
in past years, it was usually in my hands within two weeks. Of course,
what I've ordered in our "computer age" has arrived within days (meaning a
few, not many).

I finally called when it had been about six weeks to be told the order
would be "shipped in two to three weeks." I was not pleased and said that
I felt that over two months to ship garden seeds was excessive. I also
said that if it were going to be be so long that I should have been
informed of that when I placed my order. So, there was two strikes as far
as I was concerned.

The person to whom I spoke said they "expedite" my order. Generous of
them, right? After over a month, to actually consider shipping it?
heavy sarcasm here Okay, relax, it's only seeds, it's only the first
part of the growing season behind me, it was my choice to not buy the same
seeds locally as I had in the past, it was my choice to do this, right?
So relax, plant local seeds next week if they don't get here.

Most of what I planted from them grew okay, certainly not outstanding, but
okay. The germination rate was average but definitely below compared to
locally purchased seeds. Note, I said, "Most." Among what I ordered was
Thyme to plant a carpet along a narrow strip next to my block walkway.
The seed package listed the number of seeds (yes, I kid you not, the exact
number!), and I can assure you there was not one seed more than they
stated. Now, if you've seen thyme seeds, you'll appreciate that
observation. I stopped counting at about half the number that was
supposed to be there; as I said, it was was met, it was barely. I planted
two packages of seeds along the walkway in front of my storage shed, an
area about ten feet long and 8 inches wide. Not a single seed grew!

I must admit that I was surprised that the seeds were actually counted. I
am one of those compulsive people who will count things that are sold
numbered, some times. I did these just out of curiosity to see if they
really did get that specific. They do not believe in the baker's dozen
principle!

Of what I ordered, I planted carrots, beets, beans, peas, some luffa seeds
and birdhouse gourds. The germination rate was 50 percent at best which
is far below what I would have expected. I've tried to tell myself that
it was a peculiar growing year so that may be partly to blame. However,
my locally purchased seeds from last year grew at nearly 100 percent
germination rate this year, same garden, same conditions.

Would I mail order again? Maybe. Would I order from them again?
Absolutely not. It is my opinion that I should have been told at the time
of ordering the seeds would not be shipped for two months. Ignoring the
three telephone conversations I had regarding the order, I would have
expected a germination rate of at least equal to locally purchased seeds.
Perhaps I am deluded in thinking that ordering directly from the supplier
should have resulted in a better product with it not having been stored
under questionable circumstances and likely no temperature/humidity
control.

I had originally planned to order from Territorial Seeds which I could do
one of three ways, either by telephone, through our local garden shop, or
by driving an hour and a half to their location. Why I chose to order
from someone else, I cannot even say except I liked the "old-fashioned"
look of the catalog. I certainly did not get old-fashioned service (in
that the customer is important).

Oh, well. Lesson learned. As always, your mileage may vary. Obviously,
some people must have been happy with them and their products or they
wouldn't still be in business. Just count me not among those.

Hopefully, others have better stories to relate.

Glenna

Old 25-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:25:37 -0700, (Glenna
Rose) wrote:

Oh, well. Lesson learned. As always, your mileage may vary. Obviously,
some people must have been happy with them and their products or they
wouldn't still be in business. Just count me not among those.

Hopefully, others have better stories to relate.

I certainly do. I've been ordering seeds from various
suppliers for many years (maybe about 30 years now). I've
never really had a problem. Never had a late shipment.
Only ordered once from Shumway (this year) and received the
correct seeds promptly.

The only seeds I've ordered which did *not* have a good rate
of germination were Golden Beets from Pinetree and they very
clearly state in the catalog that the Golden Beets have a
low germination rate. Fair enough.

It's true, however, that I start almost all seeds indoors -
I find that I get *tremendously* better results by starting
the seeds indoors (controlled conditions: no weeds, no
driving rains beating them up when they're tiny, etc.) and
then transplanting the young plants. I direct seed green
beans outdoors, and that's about all. I even transplanted
carrots and beets this year.

Local suppliers cannot begin to match the number of
varieties available from seed companies. Local suppliers
almost *never* have the varieties I want.

Local greenhouses/nurseries (selling started plants) most
certainly never have the varieties I want. What a
difference there is to the plants I start from seed and
those from nurseries! Just no comparison at all.

Pat

Old 25-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d094101a4d1a63b9aca00a6ceb6fa.1a4d214@p mug.org...
snip
Oh, well. Lesson learned. As always, your mileage may vary. Obviously,
some people must have been happy with them and their products or they
wouldn't still be in business. Just count me not among those.

Hopefully, others have better stories to relate.

Glenna

Thanks for the story! If I do order from Shumway, or any other seed
company, I'll be sure to ask about shipping times when I place the order.
It's always good to hear others' stories, whether good or bad, to help
prepare for the unexpected!

Thanks again.

rona