Old 25-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Re(2): growing popping corn

writes:

Local suppliers cannot begin to match the number of
varieties available from seed companies. Local suppliers
almost *never* have the varieties I want.

One of our local major suppliers carries Territorial seeds, among others,
and will special order for a customer if anything TS carries is not on the
rack. It can't get much better than that, variety and in-person service.
:-)

Lesson learned this year: Order in December or January so the seeds will
be here by April. g

Local greenhouses/nurseries (selling started plants) most
certainly never have the varieties I want. What a
difference there is to the plants I start from seed and
those from nurseries! Just no comparison at all.

I would totally agree with that as a general statement. I'm fortunate
enough to live within 15 miles of a greenhouse which provides superior
plants and deals chiefly in heirlooms. Their plants are better than
anything I could hope to get started. We are also fortunate to have
someone in our garden club that loves starting plants and provides some
good starts for us (and grows the out-of-the-ordinary). But plants
purchased anywhere else are short of perfect or even close.

At our local farmers' market, they sell but are way down on the far end.
I always chuckle at the people who buy from the vendors farther north;
it's a shorter walk and the plants are 50 cents each cheaper. There is,
however, a very obvious (even to the most novice gardener) a tremendous
difference in the plants for the 50 cents more. Their plants always look
like they have been grown with the tender loving care that they have been.
The husband has a passion for tomatoes and the wife has just as great a
passion for peppers so they have an unusually large selection of each at
the beginning of the season. Their herb selection is outstanding as well.
I truly hope they plan to keep their nursery going for many decades to
come.

There certainly is nothing that can compare with the satisfaction of
starting your own. However, that doesn't seem to be my long suit, most
likely because of the relatively constant care seedlings require. To plant
the plants, mulch, cage when appropriate, lay down the watering system and
then simply turn on the water from time to time is about my speed. g If
I water the garden a day late, no harm done, but if I water the seedlings
a day late, it's not a good thing at all . . . poor little babies. It's a
good thing we have our own babies when we are younger; I question how much
energy I'd now have for all the dozens of little things each day and how
often I'd be down on the floor playing blocks and cars. LOL

About the suppliers, it is important to always remember that one
experience (good or bad) is not reflective of a particular
vendor/supplier. We all have horror stories about businesses that
otherwise provide excellent service; it is a fact that everyone has a bad
day and businesses are no exception to that rule. I'll just order from
someone else next season and likely not from only one supplier which would
have been prudent this year. It's good to learn stuff!

Glenna