Old 15-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Steve Sagerian

Default How to prep a garden for winter..

I have about a 20 x 10 garden that I started last year. It overgrown
with a pumkin vine and some other weeds have gotten into as well. As
soon as I harvest the pumpkins I want to prep the bed for next year.
What do other people do to prep their gardens for the next season?
I think I should ..pull as many weeds as I can..
maybe rototill and add some nutrients..fertilize?
can I mix in my grass clippings until the end of the grass cutting
season ?
Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Steven
Old 15-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Carol Hill

I can,t think of a reason to fertilize, but other than that you answered
your own ?,s. PS. the organic breakdown from the materials tilled
in are somewhat of a fertilizer anyway.

Old 15-09-2003, 07:42 PM
no one of importance

The only thing I can think of to add to all this discussion is that you
might want to consider a cover crop for the garden. Clover or winter rye
(make sure it's an annual, not a perennial) would be good for the soil.
Makes good green manure in the spring.

Philip

Old 15-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Steve

Steve Sagerian wrote:
maybe rototill and add some nutrients..fertilize?

Steven

Don't add garden fertilizer in the fall. The nutrients, especially the
nitrogen, tend to wash out during the off season. All you are doing is
polluting and wasting your money. Fertilize when the garden is growing
and the plants need it.
If you need to add lime, you can do that in the fall. Also anything
organic can go in now such as chopped leaves or the grass clippings. I
thing your other ideas are all good.

Steve

Old 16-09-2003, 10:32 AM

I'd go with the green manure crop, it will keep any weeds down over the
winter months and just before spring you cut it down and its an instant
manure crop. Maybe add a little manure at the same time as you cut the
winter crop.
Its cheap, enviromentally friendly and requires little work. Clover is an
excellent manure crop.
I put it on all my 'unused' winter beds, the ones that don't get much winter
sun.

Old 19-09-2003, 05:22 AM
George

Before the ground hard-freezes, I cover the garden area about one foot
or more deep with grass clippings and leaves, and have it roto-tilled.
By planting time it's just right, and doesn't need another tilling.

Garden prep SteveB[_6_] Gardening 5 04-03-2008 05:35 AM
Fall Prep for Spring Lawn & Garden [email protected] Gardening 2 18-11-2005 12:08 AM
Prep Mini roses for winter Diane Roses 3 06-09-2005 04:25 PM
yanking out greenery in prep for winter *muffin* Ponds 4 11-09-2003 01:10 AM