Old 11-09-2003, 12:07 AM
*muffin*

Default yanking out greenery in prep for winter

I decided to start yanking out most of my floaters etc before the weather
turned COLD here & didn't have that much to do when the water turned frosty.
(my pond was 85% covered)
(I will post pics in a day or so,,,, )
the lilies are still blooming etc so I can't pull them yet. I was
surprised at how much the anacharis grew !! I planted 6" to 10" pieces & it
was almost 4 ' !! I thought I read it HAS to have sunlight to grow,, & no
way did it have sun where it was planted........

anyway my question (btw I am in zone 5 NE Ohio).

the fish seem to hover under the lily leaves now,, what do you guys do, if
anything for the winter when it is BARE?? do the poor little darlins' just
have to live with open sky???

& HOW late in the season do you wait to pull the last lily from the pond??
( I do know it has snowed here the 1st week in oct, sometimes,)I want it to
last,(the lilies),,, but , darn I don't want to freeze my tush off!

Old 11-09-2003, 12:23 AM

I cover my ponds with plastic greenhouse thing, and I dont pull out the hardy lilies.
Ingrid

the fish seem to hover under the lily leaves now,, what do you guys do, if
anything for the winter when it is BARE?? do the poor little darlins' just
have to live with open sky???
& HOW late in the season do you wait to pull the last lily from the pond??

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:43 AM
Mary Alice Kropp

anyway my question (btw I am in zone 5 NE Ohio).

the fish seem to hover under the lily leaves now,, what do you guys do, if
anything for the winter when it is BARE?? do the poor little darlins' just
have to live with open sky???

I just pull out *most* of the anacharis and hornwort, (and I usually end up
doing it when it is way too cold in that water! )- some gets tossed and
some I put into the plastic boxes in the basement that holds the tropicals
over the winter. The rest just stays in the pond over the winter and in
spring, I pull out the dead stems. A lot of it does manage to survive and
grow again quite nicely. I haven't bought any new to add to the pond in a
few years now. And this year was a banner year for the hornwort- I've had to
thin it out two or three times, so the fish would have room to swim!

Oh, I'm in S. NH, zone 5b.

-Mak
http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/mak
Updates 8/31/03

CT State Chili Cook- off, Sept. 20, 2003
East Shore Park, New Haven, CT
Come say Hello to the ChiliCats!

Old 11-09-2003, 01:10 AM
RichToyBox

Good hiding places for the fish can be provided by using chimney flue liner,
comes in various sizes of terra cotta, or for small fish, pieces of larger
diameter PVC pipe. Without the ice, or other cover, they are fair game to
predators.
--
RichToyBox

Prep Mini roses for winter Diane Roses 3 06-09-2005 04:25 PM
Groundcover: great-looking greenery, year 'round (Land Steward Article) Earl@Greenwood Gardening 0 31-03-2005 06:49 PM
How to prep a garden for winter.. Steve Sagerian Edible Gardening 6 19-09-2003 05:22 AM
Seaside greenery Aries United Kingdom 7 20-10-2002 04:20 PM