Old 07-10-2003, 07:02 PM
tom hooper

Default garlic planting

Would like to plant some garlic in the ground. I hear fall is the
right time. Where can I get some? How should I fertilize it? How long
until harvest? I live in Nor. VA near DC. Any websites with info
would be helpful.
Thanks.

Dan

Old 07-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Gary Woods

tom hooper wrote:

Would like to plant some garlic in the ground.

I pointed him at my personal page as a starting point. Garlic near our
gummint has _got_ to be a good idea!

Old 07-10-2003, 11:15 PM
simy1

tom hooper wrote in message ...
Would like to plant some garlic in the ground. I hear fall is the
right time.

Yes. Given that you are south, you can wait until november. In
Michigan, we will plant one of these weekends. There is no penalty in
doing it earlier.

Where can I get some?

By now quality garlic seed will be gone at most reputable nurseries.
But, a decent farmer market nearby will have some hardneck for sale
and it will be just as good as the expensive seed garlic. This group
generally despises the softneck that you can find in supermarkets.
Softneck is vastly inferior for home planting. Hardneck will be
distinguishable from supermarket garlic due to its very hard stem. At
the farmer market, it is usually sold with a piece of stem -you will
have no problem seeing which is which.

how to fertilize

Garlic has one of the lower nutrient requirements amongst veggies.
Rather than fertilize, I would suggest that you mulch heavily, because
garlic has trouble with weeds, but not with fresh leaves that can mat
and kill the shoot as it tries to emerge. I prefer wood chips, but
well rotten leaves will also do.
Interplanting with lettuce in the spring is also an efficient way to
mulch.

How long
until harvest?

Probably July. I harvest in early august. Harvest when the plant
starts yellowing, and don't wait too long or it will start splitting.
Old 23-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Stan Moore

Try www.merrifieldgardencenter.com there in Northern VA.

http://www.usenet.com

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
storing garlic for next planting season? len gardener Australia 4 04-12-2004 12:00 PM
Planting garlic with roses cross United Kingdom 2 09-05-2004 12:09 PM
Spring Planting Garlic Tweed United Kingdom 10 02-03-2004 11:44 PM
Garlic planting Judy Rigby United Kingdom 8 31-03-2003 11:44 PM