Old 30-11-2004, 12:32 AM
len gardener

Default storing garlic for next planting season?

i'm starting to harvest my garlic as the plants die off might have to
harvest some when still a little green as we have more rain so far
this year and losing some cloves to rot so is it ok to harvest when
tops not totally dead?

now most of this years crop is immature corms originally planted form
flower head corms etc.,. but need another season in the ground, so how
do i store them to keep them viable for next march at earliest but may
is the best month?

tia

len
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:35 AM
Chookie

In article ,
len gardener wrote:

i'm starting to harvest my garlic as the plants die off might have to
harvest some when still a little green as we have more rain so far
this year and losing some cloves to rot so is it ok to harvest when
tops not totally dead?

IIRC you twist the tops over in Nov to encourage them to die down faster.

now most of this years crop is immature corms originally planted form
flower head corms etc.,. but need another season in the ground, so how
do i store them to keep them viable for next march at earliest but may
is the best month?

In the usual way -- braided, in a cool dry place. Make sure they are dry
before braiding, or they'll rot.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 03-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Dwayne

Good morning Len,

I wait until the stock looks like it is dying, then dig it. If the bulb
hasn't formed cloves, I just stick it back into the ground and leave it till
the next summer and give it another year.

If they are fully developed, I cut off the top after leaving about 6 to 8
inches, and lay it out somewhere in the shade and it cant get wet from rain
(in a shed or on the back porch where it is covered), to dry for 10 or more
days.

Then I lay it on a shelf downstairs where it is cool. If you keep it in the
fridge, it will start sprouting. I have seen it braided as Chookie
mentioned, but have never figures out how to do that. Mine will last the
winter and I can still plant it in the spring if my fall planting didn't
come up.

Dwayne

"len gardener" wrote in message
i'm starting to harvest my garlic as the plants die off might have to
harvest some when still a little green as we have more rain so far
this year and losing some cloves to rot so is it ok to harvest when
tops not totally dead?

now most of this years crop is immature corms originally planted form
flower head corms etc.,. but need another season in the ground, so how
do i store them to keep them viable for next march at earliest but may
is the best month?

tia

len
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the
environment

Old 03-12-2004, 05:42 PM
len gardener

thanks chookie & dwaybe,

yes i've seen it platted many times too, got the jist now for me i'll
be using an onoin bag.

dwayne can't leave it in the ground here this summer is going to be
too wet.

len

snipped

Old 04-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Dwayne

Good morning Len,

We had the same problem when we lived in Arkansas. One of my friends showed
me how he got around that problem. He built a "border" 8 ft by 8 ft and
about 1 ft tall. Then he filled it with the richest dirt he could get,
mixed with compost and potting soil he bought. Then he planted his onions
and garlic there (a raised garden). When it rained, the water would seep
down and out of the box and his "goodies" were all OK. He had heart
problems and that was easier than having to dig it up or plow it every year.
It seemed that the potting soil kept the dirt very easy to work with.