Old 14-10-2003, 07:02 PM
GENEVIG

Default Need Jalapeno processing help

I grew Jalapeno peppers for the first time this year and would like to know the
best way to process and freeze them for future use this winter. I have about
one hundred peppers to process.

Thank you very much.

Gene

Old 14-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Tina Gibson

Hi,
I usually dry mine, but if you want to freeze them just cut them open,
remove the seeds and chop to size you want, put in freezer bags. They tend
to get soggy in the freezer though but will good be adding to soups stews
anything you just want the flavor in and consistency doesn;t matter.
If you want to dry, just run string through them and hang them up in a dry
place.
Or you could roast them - that is the absolute best. Put them on a hot
greased barbecue until blackened. Put peppers in a paper bag, seal, leave
for 20 min. Peel off skins and pack in oil. Refrigerate. Good for about 6
mths this way in the fridge.
Tina
Tina

Old 14-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Dave

"GENEVIG" wrote in message

You could blanch them (hot water for a few then dunk them in cold water),
dry them off, lay them out on pans and let them freeze, and then bag them
either in zip locks or vacuum seal bags.

I'd smoke some, dry some, pickle a few, and make pepper jelly (it's great
with cream cheese and crackers).

Old 15-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Pam

In our last fun filled episode, Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:49:05 GMT,
"Tina Gibson" proclaimed:

jalapenos, what to do?

If you want to dry, just run string through them and hang them up in a dry
place.

One caution, if you live in a humid place like I do (SC), the
peppers will sometimes get a mold inside as they dry. If I'm air
drying peppers, especially thick-walled peppers, I cut the
peppers in half.

I lost a whole batch of paprika peppers to mold one year.

Pam

"ElissaAnn"

Old 16-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Bruce Yates

I just wash all of my peppers, dry, lay on a cookie sheet and freeze.
After frozen I put in zip lock freezer bags. They work great for
soups, stews, casseroles, pizza, etc. If I have time I will go ahead
and seed them and cut them up before freezing and then just pull out
what I need for a recipe.

Bruce
Old 25-10-2003, 05:32 AM
Beecrofter

They pickle up real nice, 50/50 water and white vinegar brought to a
boil and poured over them sliced in jars. One clove of garlic 1/2
teaspoon of salt, a tablespoon of honey per jar is a nice addition.

Is that for quarts? Do you think it would work for Habaneros? Thamks.
Len

I actually doesn't matter as the water/vinegar does the preserving.
I use about the same for pints or qts with little noticable
difference.
Pickled garlic is real nice with peppers and I am a beekeeper so honey
goes into everything. I was once told that the diffference between a 3
star restaurant and a 4 star was a box of salt.

Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for habaneros .
I have done firecracker, jalepeno, serrano, hot cherry, bulgarian
carrot and a few others.