Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Down Under On The Bucket Farm

Default Doin' Some 'Shrooms...

Hi everybody,

Well, I guess that I have got the edible gardening enthusiasm
going now - trying to do as many different plants as possible.

So I am researching mushrooms. NOT those "magic" ones,
ornecessarily anything "gourmet." Just regular mushrooms for
eating (e.g. the basic white type available at supermarkets.)

My small outdoor space is already filled with veggies, so I am
looking for indoor arraingements for the mushrooms (don't they
like the dark?)

A Google search comes up with:

1. A bunch of stuff mind-altering (poisonous) varieties.

2. Stuff about growing on logs outdoors.

3. Some very technical stuff requiring sterile environments,
petri dishes, etc.

4. Promotions for commercial "kits" supposedly containing the
necessary ingredients.

So,

Is anybody here doing this? Is it possible to just start with
some supermarket mushrooms, and get the spores out of that?

Or are the spores generally available from seed suppliers?

I have seem some random mushrooms growing wild, but I am cautious
for safety reasons.

Do I need to do a whole complex proceedure with sterile petri
dishes, etc, etc, to start up?

Suppliers are an issue, since I live in New Zealand, so there
would likely be big shipping charges and restrictions for stuff
from out of the country.

Thanks in advance!

-v