Old 16-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Jim Mulcahy

Default Opalka tomatoes

Has anyone grown either Opalka or Amish Paste tomatoes. I'm getting ready
to order seeds and would love some input.

Jim

Old 16-12-2003, 04:42 PM
FarmerDill

Jim.

Go to http://plantsdatabase.com/ and look in the tomato data base. I know Amish
paste has been reviewed. Haven't grown either of them myself , but most reviews
of Amish Paste consider it more a traditional tomato (juicy) than a paste
tomato (dry). Most like it .
Old 16-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Sylvallah

Hi Jim-

I've grown Amish Paste tomatoes. They are beautiful, with a little
pointy end. The taste is pretty standard paste tomato, and they all
came in around the same time. I had plenty of them. We got our seeds
from Gore Place, a museum in Waltham, MA.

I have found with heirlooms that they tend to do better each year.
This is partly because I've gotten better at saving only the best
seeds, and also because the plant is adapting better to the local
conditions with each successive season.

So if, for some reason, you find that you are only mildly impressed
with your first crop of any heirloom tomato, I would recommend giving
it the benefit of the doubt and growing it for a few years before
passing final judgement. This advice, of course, applies only to
those of us who have the luxury of space to keep these guys going.
I've grown about 20 varieties- always adding more to feed my tomato
obsession.

Sylvallah