Old 19-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Dave Waller

Default Beetle Question

I grow a couple of rows of foch grapes for wine making and am getting
them to look like I want. Last year I had 3 of the 7 plants producing
in good quanity and harvested 5 gals of juice. This year I 2 additional
plants producing and only 3 gals of juice. The beetles had damaged most
of the crop. I should have had at least 10 gals this year as they were
all very healthy and vigorous.

The other problem is that I should have let the berries stay on at least
another 2 weeks. Which by then I think I will have nothing.

Should I net the whole area? Are there good sprays? Can I feed them
something else? I serriously need to solve this problem. I am also
hoping that because last summer was so dry maybe there was not enough
out there for them to eat because these beetles are not supossed to eat
berries.

Dave Waller
Monroe WI

Old 19-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Glenn Lynn

Are they Japanese Beetles? I don't really think that netting the
grapes will keep them out. If they are Japanese Beetles, you can buy
a good trap for them. I used them last year when the beetles infested
my grapes and they really worked well.

Old 31-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Bpyboy

Dave, i'm down here in Alabama, and i'll tell you, the Japanese beetles were
hell on us last year. The problem was, every store was SOLD OUT until well
into the season when the damage was done already.

Go and get some early. Walmart sells some, as would any garden center. but
when the infestation hits, the traps will be long gone by the time you need
them!!