Old 28-01-2004, 09:00 PM
dg

Default Are chemicals from hydroponic nutrient present in produce?

I am sure we have all heard somebody say something like "be careful what you
ingest, hydroponic fruit has chemicals in it". Or maybe that some
particular produce tastes "chemmy".

Is there really anything to worry about? I mean, assuming there is
"chemicals" in the nutrient solution, does the plant actually contain
chemicals that are present in the nutrients? I would like to think that
roots take only nutrients that they need and not just blindly absorb
anything that is presented to them.

Can anybody recommend any books or web sites relating to this subject? Any
input is appreciated.

Thanks,
--Dan

Old 29-01-2004, 01:00 AM
David Hare-Scott

"dg" wrote in message
m...
I am sure we have all heard somebody say something like "be careful what

you
ingest, hydroponic fruit has chemicals in it". Or maybe that some
particular produce tastes "chemmy".

Is there really anything to worry about? I mean, assuming there is
"chemicals" in the nutrient solution, does the plant actually contain
chemicals that are present in the nutrients? I would like to think that
roots take only nutrients that they need and not just blindly absorb
anything that is presented to them.

Can anybody recommend any books or web sites relating to this subject?

Any
input is appreciated.

Thanks,
--Dan

The question has no answer unless you say what you mean by "chemicals".

If you mean the N, P and K, and minor and trace elements that are in a
hydroponic solution then of course they are in the produce - that is what
they are there for. The plant requires them to grow and metabolises them.
Some of these in excess quantity may be harmful to humans. Whether this is
the case or not depends on many things not just if the plants are grown
hydroponically.

If you mean insecticides and other complex compounds, whether naturally
occuring or synthetic, that may be harmful to humans in some circumstances,
these may or may not be present in hydroponic produce in significant
quantities. But the same is true of non-hydroponic produce.

The key issue is what substances are present in the produce and how much,
not whether you can tag them as "chemicals".

David