Old 19-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Frank

Default Thanks! size of tomato pot

Thanks a lot for all your encouragement. Looks like I do have to pot
on to a muuuuch bigger pot. The 10 seeds are currently in the 6"
diameter pot. I put it by the southeast facing kitchen window and
anxiously waiting for its sprouts. oh, sounds like I have to keep only
the strongest one in the pot eventually. Do you just discard the other
ones or pot them somewhere else? Just a little hesitate to "kill". :-P

Yeah, this is my first year of gardening. And poor me, I don't have
any ground space, only have a balcony facing northwest. After I pot
the tomato to a bigger pot, I have to put it to the balcony. I'd be
very happy if I can get 2 tomatoes. :-) Finger crossed!

Thanks again,
Tiff

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote in message . ..
In article
,
says...
Dear Experts,

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have been doing
tomatoes this past spring and summer. I started by
buying small plants in small pots. I plan on trying
seeds next season.

I just planted my tomatos! Here is SF bay area. I bought a growing kit
which contains a 6" bucket,

Do you mean 6 inch diameter?

potting soil and a small bag of seed.
Following the instruction, I put 10 seeds about 1/4" below the top
soil and water thoroughly. I'm anxiously waiting for the green! After
it grows taller, I'll buy a type of "backing scaffold" for its vein.

A common thing is to take three stakes (I use plastic-
covered bamboo), tied at the top as a tripod, along
with horizontal string tied as the plant grows to keep
it close in, and generally going up. If you don't give
them some guidance, they tend to start wandering
sideways and taking up lots of space.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "backing scaffold."
Perhaps also called a "trellis"? Like a rectangular
thing with wood strips in an "x"-pattern?

But one day when I was chatting with my coworker at lunch. He said
tomato needs a big pot! Is it true?

My tomato plants are in 20-litre buckets, which is
about five gallons. This seems to be a size. Although
I have heard of some people using smaller buckets.

The instruction didn't say I need
to change to a bigger pot

If you are starting with a 6-inch pot, then, you DO
need bigger pots. Although I'm not sure how big each
plant should be before you move them.

and it promised 200+ tomatos!

That might be very optimistic. If this is you first
year, I suggest focusing on just learning. That is
what I have been doing.

And, regardless of the results with this particular
effort, rememberer that persistence is good. I have
had a few containers with very weak plants, which even
totally died. But I kept working at it. And that why
I have had a bunch of successful items - persistence
and optimism.

By the way, a couple of basics...

If you use cheap buckets (like I do), make sure that
you drill or punch several holes in the bottom, so that
the water can drain out. Tomatoes do *not* like to
stand in too much water.

Sunlight is vital. Put them in your sunniest spot.

Good Luck!

Old 19-02-2004, 06:51 PM
FarmerDill

Do you have any idea what cultivar you have. In any event you will need to
transplant your healthiest seedlings to larger pots. How large depends on
whether you have a miniature plant, a small plant (The cultivar "Patio" for
example), a medium plant like "Celebrity" or a full size plant. The small
category are prolific bearers for the size of the plant, so if your current
tomatoes don't pan out look to the small type cultivars next, They are very
good for containers.

Old 19-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Andrew McMichael

Frank wrote:

Yeah, this is my first year of gardening. And poor me, I don't have
any ground space, only have a balcony facing northwest. After I pot
the tomato to a bigger pot, I have to put it to the balcony. I'd be
very happy if I can get 2 tomatoes. :-) Finger crossed!

You'll be the envy of your whole apartment.

As for the sprouts, I eat them.

Andrew

Old 19-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Robert Gummi

Frank wrote:

Thanks a lot for all your encouragement. Looks like I do have to pot
on to a muuuuch bigger pot. The 10 seeds are currently in the 6"
diameter pot. I put it by the southeast facing kitchen window and
anxiously waiting for its sprouts. oh, sounds like I have to keep only
the strongest one in the pot eventually. Do you just discard the other
ones or pot them somewhere else? Just a little hesitate to "kill". :-P

Yeah, this is my first year of gardening. And poor me, I don't have
any ground space, only have a balcony facing northwest. After I pot
the tomato to a bigger pot, I have to put it to the balcony. I'd be
very happy if I can get 2 tomatoes. :-) Finger crossed!

Normally you sow all your tomato seeds into a pot or box or whatever and
keep them warm (25°C). As soon as they get their fist 'real pair of leaves
you take the healthies ones and plant them into new pots, about 10-15cm
diameter. Plant them deeper than they were before. Give them much light.
After two or three days you could keep them cooler (about 15-16°C) with
much much light, they would flower earlier. If you can only keep them at
home between 20-25°C, no problem, they will just flower one or two weeks
later.
Here where I live, we can plant our tomatoes outdoors mid-may, when there
will be no late frost anymore. We plant them deeper again, they will get
more roots then.
You can plant them in a 10 liter pot or bucket. Did I mention that tomatoes
need lots of light...?
Don't give them a fertilizer with too much nitrogen, they will grow too
vigorously, but won't set more fruits. Use a fertilzer with more potassium
than nitrogen.
Professionels grow them without soil at all, just fertilizer solution. But
they have to take great care about the solution, hobbyists can't afford
this kind of analytics.

There are several hundred kind of tomatoes: 'normal' red ones, yellow ones,
almost black ones, tomatoes with stripes, pearshaped tomatoes, eggshaped
tomatoes, one pounders, two pounders, cherry-sized tomatoes...

If you have one of the cherry-sized cultivars, 200 tomatoes might be
possible, if there's enough sun for the plant. Tomatoes don't like too much
moisture, but don't let them dry up completely too often.

Use Google, there should be plenty of advice concerning tomatoes.

Bye,
Robert

Old 21-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Katra

In article ,
Andrew McMichael wrote:

Frank wrote:

Yeah, this is my first year of gardening. And poor me, I don't have
any ground space, only have a balcony facing northwest. After I pot
the tomato to a bigger pot, I have to put it to the balcony. I'd be
very happy if I can get 2 tomatoes. :-) Finger crossed!

You'll be the envy of your whole apartment.

As for the sprouts, I eat them.

Andrew

Ew!!! :-P

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katra at centurytel dot net,,