Old 11-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Re(2): Thanks! size of tomato pot

writes:
Frank wrote:

Yeah, this is my first year of gardening. And poor me, I don't have
any ground space, only have a balcony facing northwest. After I pot
the tomato to a bigger pot, I have to put it to the balcony. I'd be
very happy if I can get 2 tomatoes. :-) Finger crossed!

You'll be the envy of your whole apartment.

As for the sprouts, I eat them.

You can also put the sprouts in other small pots (even a large disposable
cup such as coffee or pop, in soil of course) and when you are sure they
are going to live (a few days) give them to a friend or neighbor to plant.

Tomato plants are incredibly durable. I remember babying them the first
year of my garden, really! Then by the third year, I started pulling up
the volunteers and laying them in a bucket with a bit of water at the
bottom and planting them elsewhere. Amazingly, they all grew which caused
me to laugh at the extreme care I gave them the first year. All of those
I gave away also survived and thrived. In fact, some of those who got
them saved seeds and kept them going. :-) Undoubtedly, that these were
volunteers from heirloom plants makes a difference in hardiness, but the
point is that they are pretty forgiving if they are given good soil and
proper watering (and, of course, sunshine!) so your extras have a good
chance at life if they have soil, water, sun, and room (and a large enough
pot so they can produce). To think of the importance of pot size, think
of yourself; you can survive in a 8x8 room with food, water, etc.;
however, you will thrive in a house.

Enjoy. Tomato plants can be very rewarding.

Glenna