Old 29-02-2004, 04:43 AM
dkra

Default Rose Quartz tomato

x-no-archive: yes

A few years ago I ordered and grew Rose Quartz and Pink Odoriko tomatoes
from Shepherd's Garden Seeds. The plants grew healthy and lush (they were
in containers), had plenty of water and sun, but succumbed to wilt just as
they were beginning to bloom, so I never had a chance to taste their
promised wonderful fruit.

Both varieties were described by Shepherd's as Japanese hybrids.

This year I've found a source for Odoriko seeds (two sources, in fact) but
am not sure about Rose Quartz. Tomatofest.com sells a "Rose Quartz" which
it has not labeled as an heirloom, but hasn't described it as a hybrid
either. Tomatogrowers.com has a "Sweet Quartz" (described as a Japanese
hybrid) which might be the same thing as the original Rose Quartz ("Pink
cherry tomatoes the color of rose quartz are as delightful to taste as
they are to look at.").

At any rate, has anyone here grown Rose Quartz, and could you please let
me know of your experience with it?

Thanks in advance.

-- dkra
Old 17-06-2004, 06:02 PM
news.verizon.net

Have you checked the GardenWeb tomato forum? Go there and do a search for
Rose Quartz. There were a few threads there over the last few months on it,
specifically about it possibly having the multi-flora gene-- it produced a
huge flower cluster similar to Riesentraube. It's also been discussed it may
be the same as Sweet Quartz.

Mark

news

Old 27-06-2004, 10:02 AM
dkra

x-no-archive: yes

In article , "news.verizon.net"
wrote:

Have you checked the GardenWeb tomato forum? Go there and do a search for
Rose Quartz. There were a few threads there over the last few months on it,
specifically about it possibly having the multi-flora gene-- it produced a
huge flower cluster similar to Riesentraube. It's also been discussed it may
be the same as Sweet Quartz.

Mark

[Rose Quartz at TomatoFest.com vs. Sweet Quartz Hybrid at Tomatogrowers.com]

I'm currently growing Rose Quartz from TomatoFest (this may be a hybrid
from Sakata Seed Co. in Japan, I need to verify this). Sweet Quartz Hybrid
(from Tomato Growers Supply) is described as "slightly elongated" but the
picture at http://www.tomatogrowers.com/small.htm shows a fruit similar to
the round ones on my Rose Quartz plant. It's sort of early in the season
to tell and I'll have to wait until the fruit fully matures.

I could and should write to Renee Shepherd and ask her about the original
seed source for the Rose Quartz Hybrid (Japanese) that was once carried in
her Shepherd's Garden Seeds catalog.

Regarding the "multiflora" sport of Rose Quartz: people who have acquired
some of this seed and grown it are saying that the trait for huge bunches
of blossoms breeds true. I understand this was a selection from a plant
sown from Rose Quartz (TomatoFest) seed.

-- dkra