Old 01-03-2004, 09:55 PM
lucy

Default New to Herb Growing

Hi everyone,
Just found this newsgroup.. because I am growing herbs for the first time.
Got the chia herb gardening kit for Christmas (I can hear the snickers
already lol), and am growing them on my desk.
The parsley has petered out. Dunno what I did wrong there. Followed the
directions, and the chives are coming along slowly but surely, the marjoram
and basil are the only two (out of four) that are doing great.
My question is.. when and how do I transplant them outdoors. I'm in Dallas
and I have never tried to grow anything before. Hubby and I have been
thinking about starting a veggie garden this year. He grew a few tomatoes
last year that did pretty well.. but again, we know nothing. All he did was
water them, and discovered he needs to come up with a way to keep birds
(crows maybe) from eating them this year.
So please.. any and ALL advice appreciated. the peanuts dot com email isn't
legit, of course.. but if you want to email me, I'd be happy to give my
email to anyone who requests it here.. in lieu of that, I will read this
newsgroup twice a day with my others. Seriously.. we need advice on
everything from how to keep pests away, when to plant what (in Dallas), just
everything.
Have a great day.. and thanks to everyone in advance for any and all advice
for first time gardening, esp with herbs and veggies.
lucy