Old 12-03-2004, 12:33 AM
FDR

Default Minimum corn row/size requirement?

I understand a minimum of 4 rows is required for growing corn, but what's
the minimum length? And is the spacing 12" between rows and plants?

Thanks

Old 12-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Steve

I suppose 4 rows isn't really required but that seems to the point
at which you get good pollination on most of the ears. I've been
known to go out on a sunny summer morning, lean a corn plant from
the inner rows over to the up wind plants. I give it a shake to
pollinate the row that gets most of the pollen blowing away from it.
Spacing of 12 inches, each way, seems a little close together for
all but the smallest varieties of corn. Crowding leads to poor
quality (small) ears of corn from the center of the patch.
If you are planting such a small patch of corn that you ask these
questions, I would suggest you plant in a square block, rather than
rows.

Steve

Old 12-03-2004, 01:02 AM
FDR

"Steve" wrote in message
I suppose 4 rows isn't really required but that seems to the point
at which you get good pollination on most of the ears. I've been
known to go out on a sunny summer morning, lean a corn plant from
the inner rows over to the up wind plants. I give it a shake to
pollinate the row that gets most of the pollen blowing away from it.
Spacing of 12 inches, each way, seems a little close together for
all but the smallest varieties of corn. Crowding leads to poor
quality (small) ears of corn from the center of the patch.
If you are planting such a small patch of corn that you ask these
questions, I would suggest you plant in a square block, rather than
rows.

I've considered that. How many stalks per side?

Steve

Old 12-03-2004, 01:07 AM
FDR

"Steve" wrote in message
I suppose 4 rows isn't really required but that seems to the point
at which you get good pollination on most of the ears. I've been
known to go out on a sunny summer morning, lean a corn plant from
the inner rows over to the up wind plants. I give it a shake to
pollinate the row that gets most of the pollen blowing away from it.
Spacing of 12 inches, each way, seems a little close together for
all but the smallest varieties of corn. Crowding leads to poor
quality (small) ears of corn from the center of the patch.

Seems like the corn fields here in central NY plant pretty darn closely.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:49 AM
Steve

FDR wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

I suppose 4 rows isn't really required but that seems to the point
at which you get good pollination on most of the ears. I've been
known to go out on a sunny summer morning, lean a corn plant from
the inner rows over to the up wind plants. I give it a shake to
pollinate the row that gets most of the pollen blowing away from it.
Spacing of 12 inches, each way, seems a little close together for
all but the smallest varieties of corn. Crowding leads to poor
quality (small) ears of corn from the center of the patch.
If you are planting such a small patch of corn that you ask these
questions, I would suggest you plant in a square block, rather than
rows.

I've considered that. How many stalks per side?

I don't think it matters. Decide how much garden space you dare to
use for corn and fill the space.
I have the habit of planting in raised beds (my garden tends to be
wet sometimes). I make the beds wide enough for 3 rows of corn
spaced about 14 inches each way. Then there is a wider space and
then another raised bed of 3 rows. I make at least 4 or 5 of these
beds making a pretty big block of corn all together. Even at this
spacing, the corn plants in the interior don't develop to their full
potential. Most of the corn stalks make one nice ear of corn but the
ones on the outside, getting better light, often make 2 good ears.

Steve (in the Adirondacks)

PS Don't tell my wife that I showed this picture (if it even works):
http://www.geocities.com/tlswilso/8-4-01Janecorn.jpg

Old 12-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Mary McHugh

FDR wrote:
I understand a minimum of 4 rows is required for growing corn, but what's
the minimum length? And is the spacing 12" between rows and plants?

I plant my corn in 4' square blocks. I usually squeeze in 4 rows so
that's 12" spacing all around. I have seen my neighbors plant corn in
hills. They plant about 4 seeds in a 18" or so diameter. Then they'll
plant another "clump" a few feet away. I have no idea how it worked out
but they were elderly people and always had the earliest tomatoes so I
think there was a lot of gardening experience behind their theory. ;-)

Mary

Old 12-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Kenneth D. Schillinger

Growing up in a rural area we grew most of our vegatables, and always
planted the corn in rows that were 3 ft. apart, with hills every 2 ft., each
hill containg 4 to 6 seeds.
We always had good crops of corn that way.
regards, Ken.

Old 13-03-2004, 02:53 AM
Ray Drouillard

"FDR" wrote in message
I understand a minimum of 4 rows is required for growing corn, but

what's
the minimum length? And is the spacing 12" between rows and plants?

Thanks

If your rows are only a foot apart, you're going to have a really hard
time walking between them to harvest the corn.

Ray

Old 13-03-2004, 05:20 AM
FDR

"Ray Drouillard" wrote in message

"FDR" wrote in message
I understand a minimum of 4 rows is required for growing corn, but

what's
the minimum length? And is the spacing 12" between rows and plants?

Thanks

If your rows are only a foot apart, you're going to have a really hard
time walking between them to harvest the corn.

It's a pretty small patch. Just wanted to try a little corn to see what
happens.

Ray

Old 13-03-2004, 05:24 AM
FDR

Thanks to all who responded

Old 13-03-2004, 05:29 AM
FDR

Thanks to all who responded

Old 15-03-2004, 02:32 AM
DigitalVinyl

"FDR" wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
I suppose 4 rows isn't really required but that seems to the point
at which you get good pollination on most of the ears. I've been
known to go out on a sunny summer morning, lean a corn plant from
the inner rows over to the up wind plants. I give it a shake to
pollinate the row that gets most of the pollen blowing away from it.
Spacing of 12 inches, each way, seems a little close together for
all but the smallest varieties of corn. Crowding leads to poor
quality (small) ears of corn from the center of the patch.

Seems like the corn fields here in central NY plant pretty darn closely.

It also depends some upon the variety. The one I tried growing last
year was 8" apart. A slightly smaller cob, only about 5' stalks. I had
no problem getting them to full size with even slightly less than
eight inches available. But I botched the fertilizer and the tassel
and silkss grew out more than a month out of sync--Tassels first, then
4 weeks later the silks came out.

FDR wrote:
I understand a minimum of 4 rows is required for growing corn, but

what's
the minimum length? And is the spacing 12" between rows and plants?

Thanks

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener