Old 18-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Trudyjh

Default My Garden Has Petered Out

I agree with getting a soil test. You have added a heck of a lot of stuff,
including some things that may not be needed (for example, gypsum - breaks up
clay, but I gardened for many years in clay soil without ever adding it).
Old 21-03-2004, 11:59 PM
pc macdonald

Thanks to all for your responses.

As advised, I purchased a test kit from Security/Farnam to test pH,
N-P-K. I carefully followed all the instructions, used distilled
water, and didn't cross contaminate samples or soil.

The pH was just under 8, possibly due to the ash I mentioned
previously.

The N test solution was to turn a shade of pink - it was an almost
colorless yellow. No N or a faulty test.

Phosphorous showed "medium", whatever that means.

The potassium test evaluated the K content by clouding the sample,
user to judge K content by evaluating how much the enclosed test chart
is occluded by the solution. My test totally obscured the charts, so
either I have an enormous quantity of K, or the kit is faulty, or I
don't understand how to read the cryptic instructions.

Since the soil has not been fertilized or treated with anything for at
last 18 months, I don't know quite what to think.

At any rate in a 12 to 14 sqare foot test plot I placed two sacks of
steer manure (2" deep) and 6 oz. sulfur, turned the soil and watered
it well.

Time will tell.

pc
After I moved into this home I began growing tomatoes every summer in
two different locations.

....snip...

May I solicit some suggestions?

Old 22-03-2004, 02:32 PM
simy1

(pc macdonald) wrote in message . com...
Thanks to all for your responses.

As advised, I purchased a test kit from Security/Farnam to test pH,
N-P-K. I carefully followed all the instructions, used distilled
water, and didn't cross contaminate samples or soil.

The pH was just under 8, possibly due to the ash I mentioned
previously.

The N test solution was to turn a shade of pink - it was an almost
colorless yellow. No N or a faulty test.

Phosphorous showed "medium", whatever that means.

The potassium test evaluated the K content by clouding the sample,
user to judge K content by evaluating how much the enclosed test chart
is occluded by the solution. My test totally obscured the charts, so
either I have an enormous quantity of K, or the kit is faulty, or I
don't understand how to read the cryptic instructions.

possibly you have an enormous amount of potassium. wood ash is 8%
potassium, and does have a pH of 10.4. Just the same, if you lack
other micronutrients, you will not get tomatoes.