Old 18-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Philip

Default Has Cornus gone out of fashion?

I have been looking for a decent clump of Cornus. I fugured that its tough
nature and the fact that it can be pruned by the most ham fisted of local
authority contractors, would make sure I would find some examples in areas
administered by the Parks & Gardens department.

Thus far I have not found even a twig, never mind a clump.

Anyone sighted any in the South East of England?

Phil

(With all due applogies to any Local Authority employees who may be reading
this.)

Old 19-11-2003, 05:13 PM
Kenty ;-\)

I don't get you ,are asking for a supplier or thinking of nicking some from
a park?
Try a garden centre!
kenty
.. .

Old 19-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Zizz

"Philip" wrote in message
.. .
I have been looking for a decent clump of Cornus. I fugured that its tough
nature and the fact that it can be pruned by the most ham fisted of local
authority contractors, would make sure I would find some examples in areas
administered by the Parks & Gardens department.

Thus far I have not found even a twig, never mind a clump.

Anyone sighted any in the South East of England?

Phil

(With all due applogies to any Local Authority employees who may be reading
this.)

Loads round my area (somewhere in Essex), though am suspicious as to why like
Kenty

Old 20-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Natalie

Thanks for the information Natalie, and thanks for the offer of a
photo. I wont take up your offer of the photo at this time. But if
you see someone creeping around the front of your school with a Camera
dont be too surpised.

It does seem that Cornus is not as widespread as I thought it would
be.

I know I am a little early for the classic stems of Cornus, but that
is he key. I need to know where some Cornus is located so I can be
ready to photograph it when the conditions suit. It no use wandering
around with my camera on a bright frosty morning looking for Cornus,
because from my reccy's I know I am unlikely to find it with out some
prior research.

Do you (or anyone) know if the RHS are OK with people photographing
their stuff.

I've taken photos when I've been there without any trouble...didn't even
think to ask ;-)

Natalie

Old 20-11-2003, 11:07 PM
Franz Heymann

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
I want to photograph some. I thought it would be easier that it is.

We have some just outside our school grounds in Hornsey/Crouch End,

North
London it hasn't lost all its leaves yet...I could take a photo for you

;-)

Have you tried RHS Wisley? They had some beautiful, but small, ones

there
last year.

Natalie

Thanks for the information Natalie, and thanks for the offer of a
photo. I wont take up your offer of the photo at this time. But if
you see someone creeping around the front of your school with a Camera
dont be too surpised.

It does seem that Cornus is not as widespread as I thought it would
be.

I know I am a little early for the classic stems of Cornus, but that
is he key. I need to know where some Cornus is located so I can be
ready to photograph it when the conditions suit. It no use wandering
around with my camera on a bright frosty morning looking for Cornus,
because from my reccy's I know I am unlikely to find it with out some
prior research.

Do you (or anyone) know if the RHS are OK with people photographing
their stuff.

For twenty years I lived within a few miles of Wisley. My wife and I went
there every Sunday without fail and on each occasion I took a few photos.
We have lived within striking distance of their Harlow Carr garden for the
past fourteen years, and I have done the same there whenever we visited that
garden.

Franz

Old 20-11-2003, 11:44 PM
keith

cornus is often planted in car parks of supermarkets & retail parks, i have
seen it at Ikea,Morrisons & a Tesco
petrol garage planted in mass,looks great in winter.Thats without looking
for it!That is in the Nottingham area.But i am sure others will be the same.
kenty
"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(Philip) wrote:

I fugured that its tough
nature

Is it tough? I had one die here a few years back and I recall another
one dying nearby.

---

Old 22-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Registered User

Location: East Yorkshire

Cornus must be going out of fashion, I'm lucky to make 50p each on them at the auctions these days, even though I've been selling really nice well grown plants.

Having said that, there is a lot planted around here in horse hedges, farming store car parks and livestock centres.
I'm thinking of starting a lawn laying business and calling it Sodding Perfection