Old 31-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Green Thumb

Default Hi and Questions

Hi! I am so glad to have found this group! I hope to learn a lot here.
I'm in Zone 6b and have just started my seeds in peat pots. So far
I've done 4 varieties of tomatoes, 4 varieties of pepppers, a few herbs,
and various flowers. Some are tall enough to be out of the little
humidity chambers. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping some
kind soul would answer. Do I start the following in peat pots too:
cucumber, peas, beans, radishes, and zucchini? I bought one of those 4
tier, plastic covered, mini greenhouses that stands about 5' tall. It
is on the back patio in a location that receives east, south, and west
sun. How soon can I put my seedlings into it? TIA
Old 01-04-2004, 07:54 AM
Linda Barsalou

If you know when the last frost date is for your area, that
is when you can safely plant your tomatoes and peppers
plants out and your cucumbers, beans and zucchini can be
seeded directly into the ground where you want to grow
them. The peas and radishes can be seeded out now. I am on
the edge of 6a and 5b in SW Ohio and our last frost date
tends to be May 15. I would say you are probably about 2
weeks ahead of us. So probably it is safe by the first of
May.

As to your little green house, I have seen them and would be
real concerned that if it is in full sun things could get
cooked in it on warm, sunny spring days if you don't
remember to open it up. They don't look like they have much
ventilation, so be careful with it. I think it might be
better to place it in a very bright but mostly shady place.
It would still provide a lot more light than in the house.
I would try a few of the herbs in it now and see how they
do, then if they are ok put the tomatoes and peppers in it.
I would still bring the tomatoes and pepper in though if its
going to get down below 40 degrees out, they don't like the
chill. Also, remember that plants that have been growing in
the light in your house, even if in a window, are not ready
to tolerate direct sun immediately. They need to be
introduce to it slowly over a few days.

Linda
who grows lot of tomatoes and other garden plants under
shoplights in her basement.