Old 18-04-2004, 08:02 PM
lib

Default Soil amendment/fertilizer?

I am preparing to roto-till my 20 ft. square garden near San Francisco Bay.
What would be a good amend/fert. to add to my ground? What would be the
approx. amount of the product I would apply. I was thinking of something
that I could buy large bags of and spread before tilling. I grow a variety
of vegs. from corn to beans, peas, lettuce, squash, etc. Thanx ahead- Lib

Old 19-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Sunflower

"lib" wrote in message
I am preparing to roto-till my 20 ft. square garden near San Francisco

Bay.
What would be a good amend/fert. to add to my ground? What would be the
approx. amount of the product I would apply. I was thinking of something
that I could buy large bags of and spread before tilling. I grow a variety
of vegs. from corn to beans, peas, lettuce, squash, etc. Thanx ahead- Lib

What does your soil test say about the basic fertility of your soil and pH?
You have to know where you're beginning to know what route to take to get to
the end. Having said that, it's hard to overdo adding organic matter to the
soil.

Old 19-04-2004, 08:04 AM
scr

One decision you have to make is whether you are willing to use
synthetics or not.

On the suggestion of adding organic matter, I agree about adding organic
vegetable matter only if it's genuinely decomposed. Some folks have it
in their head that tilling in vegetable waste like kitchen scraps or
leaves is positive. Plants can't use rotting plants. The ingredients you
add have to be in elemental form.

For example, genuine (black) compost puts carbon back in the soil which
plants can use.

-SCR

Old 19-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Anonymous

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 03:49:18 +0000, Sunflower wrote:

Having said that, it's hard to overdo adding organic
matter to the soil.

Yeah ... what Sunflower said. The only thing I'd add to that is that "too
much" organic material is a self-correcting problem in that the more you
add, the quicker it disappears.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)