Old 25-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Ralph D.

Default Wasp spray in veggie garden... OK?

Several weeks ago I was getting the veggie garden ready and hit a large
colony of ants. I know that ants are *supposed* to be harmless, but... last
year the mound some ants dug hammered several of my golden pepper bell
plants. Without thinking long enough, I reached into my shed and grabbed the
first thing I could see which was wasp spray and saturated a 4'x4' area.

It has rained quite a bit since (SW PA zone 5b or 6ish) and now I'm
wandering if there is any significant problem with putting bush beans or
bush cukes in that little sector?

I'm sure some will flame this... have at it... but I'm really looking for
any definitive answers, so I'll just have to ignore a few of those to get
to the useful stuff, I suppose.

thanks

Old 28-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Bob S.

"Ralph D." wrote in message ...
Several weeks ago I was getting the veggie garden ready and hit a large
colony of ants. I know that ants are *supposed* to be harmless, but... last
year the mound some ants dug hammered several of my golden pepper bell
plants. Without thinking long enough, I reached into my shed and grabbed the
first thing I could see which was wasp spray and saturated a 4'x4' area.

It has rained quite a bit since (SW PA zone 5b or 6ish) and now I'm
wandering if there is any significant problem with putting bush beans or
bush cukes in that little sector?

I'm sure some will flame this... have at it... but I'm really looking for
any definitive answers, so I'll just have to ignore a few of those to get
to the useful stuff, I suppose.

Look at the wasp spray ingredients. Most wasp sprays use a petrolium
base to instantly kill wasps and that evaporates very fast. (Throw a
half cup of gasoline on a wasp nest and they are dead before they hit
the ground. And the gas evaporates in a few minutes).
Most insecticides have an active life of 10-14 days, a lot less with
rain. So I would feel safe in planting in the area.

Bob S.

organic garden spray John Savage Australia 6 03-09-2008 06:47 AM
organic garden spray Nancy Australia 6 03-09-2008 06:27 AM
organic garden spray John Savage Australia 0 31-08-2008 04:09 AM
Rabbits in the Garden & Animal Repellent Spray junkyardcat Gardening 11 28-09-2005 04:47 AM
Wasp Spray Dangers in the Veggies? Ralph D. Gardening 4 26-05-2004 01:02 AM