Old 02-06-2004, 07:03 AM
Henry

Default Cicada problems??

Ray Drouillard wrote:
The cicadas won't bother your garden. the suck on the sap of tree roots
when they are growing. This batch has been doing it for 17 years with
no harm done.

They will fascinate some people, and annoy others. Birds and other bug
eaters will love it. Your garden won't care one way or the other.

I suppose it depends on what you grow. It looks like we won't get any
chestnuts this year. The end of virtually every branch on our trees
have been killed. Other trees don't seem to be as sensitive as the
chestnuts. Larger trees hardly notice the loss of the leaves at the end
of each branch but smaller trees are hurt a bit. With trees (like
chestnuts) that bloom at the end of the branches, if you lose all the
flowers, you lose all the fruit.

My brother and I decided to taste them. They don't have much flavor at
all. He ate one raw and spat out the shell. I roasted mine and had it
with a marshmallow. It added a bit of a crunch but that's about all.

http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/2004/20040530.php

--
Henry

Old 02-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Grandpa

Was that the Cicada or the chestnut? 8*)

snipped

Old 02-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Henry

Grandpa wrote:
Henry wrote:
My brother and I decided to taste them. They don't have much flavor
at all. He ate one raw and spat out the shell. I roasted mine and
had it with a marshmallow. It added a bit of a crunch but that's
about all.

Was that the Cicada or the chestnut? 8*)

The cicada. Chestnuts have a nice flavor.

--
Henry

[IBC] cicada Lisa Miller Bonsai 3 12-04-2004 08:33 PM
the cicada invasion Ka30P Ponds 11 11-04-2004 08:32 AM
the cicada invasion *muffin* Ponds 1 10-04-2004 06:04 AM
Cicada wasps, apricot trees, cherry trees Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 27-08-2003 09:32 AM
woodpeckers, grackles, etc Cicada wasps, Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 20-08-2003 11:02 AM