Old 02-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Tom Hooper

Default req:rotting peppers

One of my pepper plants has rotting fruit. It's not blossom end rot, as
the rotting is in the middle of the pepper. They look OK until about 3"
long, then rot in spots. Could it be the rain or condensation? I can't
find any worms or other bugs. Do cicadas sucking on them cause this? First
time in twenty years I've ever had this problem. It's a red bell which I've
grown many times before successfuflly.

VR,

TWH

Old 02-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Bad Bob

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:13:32 -0400, "Tom Hooper"
wrote:

One of my pepper plants has rotting fruit. It's not blossom end rot, as
the rotting is in the middle of the pepper. They look OK until about 3"
long, then rot in spots. Could it be the rain or condensation? I can't
find any worms or other bugs. Do cicadas sucking on them cause this? First
time in twenty years I've ever had this problem. It's a red bell which I've
grown many times before successfuflly.

VR,

TWH

I have the same problem, I believe it is the wet season we are having
here in Ohio. My tomatoes and a few other items are suffering from not
drying out in the last three weeks.
Waiting on the sun to shine.

Bad Bob

"Cook him till he's blue,
and smother him in onions."
Old 03-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Janice

wrote:

One of my pepper plants has rotting fruit. It's not blossom end rot, as
the rotting is in the middle of the pepper. They look OK until about 3"
long, then rot in spots. Could it be the rain or condensation? I can't
find any worms or other bugs. Do cicadas sucking on them cause this? First
time in twenty years I've ever had this problem. It's a red bell which I've
grown many times before successfuflly.

VR,

TWH

How is it rotting? Is it a watery area with a dark spot in the
middle? Is it looking like it's dry black leathery stretched membrane
in the middle of otherwise ok looking pepper? Or is it just soft in
spots but otherwise looks pretty close to normal?

Of the above only one I know is anthracnose .. on my tomatoes anyway,
makes a kind of a watery blister with a darker area in the middle. I
imagine it would be similar on peppers, but whatever it is, more
details please ;-)

Another thing that affects peppers is sun scald, particularly when
they're kind of wet and the sun shines on them...that ends up a few
days later a whitish area with stretched whitish dry papery membrane
over the affected area.

Janice
Old 03-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

One of my pepper plants has rotting fruit. It's not blossom end rot, as
the rotting is in the middle of the pepper. They look OK until about 3"
long, then rot in spots. Could it be the rain or condensation?

snip possibilities

Another thing that affects peppers is sun scald, particularly when
they're kind of wet and the sun shines on them...that ends up a few
days later a whitish area with stretched whitish dry papery membrane
over the affected area.

I have never (knock wood) experienced any pepper diseases, but *have*
had sun-scald. This generally happens to early fruit when the 'leaf
canopy' is relatively small. Nasty black patches.

Another 'early fruit' problem, BTW, is peppers expanding in the 'V' of
branches. I guess it happens because the peppers form closer to the
stem than they do later. It's something to watch out for, as the
expanding pepper can split a branch.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Tom Hooper

Default rotting peppers

Thank you. Janice seems right. There are large dark spots surrounded
by slimy brown areas. So far it is limited to one plant only, which I have
isolated (I container garden). Looking forward as usual to all the good
info at this group.

VR,
twh