Old 06-09-2004, 11:58 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Peppers rotting on the plant

Is there a condition that causes this... I'm thinking maybe too much
water. The rot points are varied. Sometimes on the sides, sometimes
from the tip, sometimes multiple small spots all around. Three groups
of plant are showing the problems, each in different soils or pots.

Last year I had none of this issue. On bell, anaheims, & jalapenos I'm
just finding them rotting. On the anaheims especially they rot AS they
blush to red. Literally the parts that have turned sickly pale white
and soft are surrounded by rings of ripening red.

Last year I left all my peppers on the plant until I slowly used them.
I think I lost two from bugs. I just pulled 6 rotting ones today and a
good two dozen during the season.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/
Old 07-09-2004, 12:26 PM
fieldfarms

I sell peppers hot and sweet at our local farmer's market here in
Michigan. The cause of your rotten ends of your peppers,(can happen
on tomatoes too)is inconsistent watering. This year we have had
abundant rain and I have not one pepper or tomato with this problem.
I know it sounds crazy, because it looks like it is from overwatering,
but it's not.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Jim Carlock

I'm seeing that can happen with cucumbers as well. They got
a heck of alot more water than they normally get yesterday.
They looked so droopy. That combined with the winds
beating them up, twisting and turning and cutting off the
supply of water to a couple leaves that wrapped themselves
up wrongly... ouch.

The soil was dry this morning and I gave them some water.
If the soil is dry I see improvements within the leaves within
5 to 15 minutes, they perk up and lose their droopiness.

I've killed a couple belle peppers and a bannana peppers by
letting the soil dry for out for longer than a day.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

Old 08-09-2004, 03:43 AM
Concordia

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:58:52 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

Is there a condition that causes this... I'm thinking maybe too much
water. The rot points are varied. Sometimes on the sides, sometimes
from the tip, sometimes multiple small spots all around. Three groups
of plant are showing the problems, each in different soils or pots.

Last year I had none of this issue. On bell, anaheims, & jalapenos I'm
just finding them rotting. On the anaheims especially they rot AS they
blush to red. Literally the parts that have turned sickly pale white
and soft are surrounded by rings of ripening red.

Last year I left all my peppers on the plant until I slowly used them.
I think I lost two from bugs. I just pulled 6 rotting ones today and a
good two dozen during the season.

Not sure what you have from the description; likely the problem is
fungal, possibly bacterial. Anyway, tomatoes and peppers are subject
to many of the same pests and diseases, so you may find this site
helpful in making an identification. Plenty of pictures.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tomatoproblemsolver/
Old 09-09-2004, 11:54 AM
SVTKate

Posted above is a question about tomatoes rotting on the vine. The general
consensus is that the problem is blossom end rot.
Could that be it with the peppers too?
A calcium deficiency?

Kate

Old 10-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Concordia

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 10:54:00 GMT, "SVTKate"
wrote:

(snip)
Posted above is a question about tomatoes rotting on the vine. The general
consensus is that the problem is blossom end rot.

Could that be it with the peppers too?

No, poster here indicated "rot points are varied".

A calcium deficiency?

Well, sort of. It's really more of an uptake problem.

BER is rarely fixed by adding calcium to the soil, as was once thought
(*). Most soils contain enough calcium, the problem is usually that
plants may not be uptaking what is already available due to
environmental stresses -- water fluctuations, cool weather, young
plants/immature root system, etc.

(*) Potted plants being a possible exception